Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Joint Pain

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found a supplement that helps with this condition (hips). I've tried Aleve which offered no relief and I really would rather not turn to a prescription drug. Thanks in advane for any feedback!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have terrible joint pain resulting from years of physical abuse on my body and not a congenital condition. Knees, hands, shoulders, and hips to a lesser extent are all affected.

I've tried just about anything you can think of with extremely limited positive results. The only thing thus far that has given me any level of relief is Celebrex. It works, but it is expensive as there is no generic alternative yet. After insurance is costs my $62 for a 30 pill Rx since Blue Cross refuses to place just about any name brand drug on their approved list. Without any insurance at all I think the pharmacist quoted me $165 for 30 pills. Seems expensive (and it is), but to keep the pain at bay and to be able to function somewhat normally it is money well spent.
  • Rascal
    Thank you. That may be the only answer. My rx expenses already take me into the 'gap' in the drug plan after 6 months and beyond that I'm on my own for the rest of the year. I keep seeing ads online for various remedys that claim to reduce pain and help repair/rebuild the damaged cartilage but I'm wary that they're likely to be scams..
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey Rascal

I have the best results from either a couple Ibuprofen or a couple extra strength Acetaminophen. These being Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) they have their draw backs and can only be used for a limited amount of time without the risk of ulcers or other complications. I take a aspirin a day for my heart so I can't use more of it for pain but find that these two work well on those days I can't tough it out. On really bad days I have been known to alternate them every six hours and I am still here to tell about it but don't know how wise that is and suggest it only at your own risk. ;)

Good luck,

Blair

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Rascal,
    I started having hip pain early last year. Since arthritis runs in our family I started checking into supplements instead of medication. My accountant told me she started taking MegaRed for her arthritis and after a month started seeing a lot of improvement. I started taking them and after about a month the pain went away and hasn't returned in the last 10 months. I've even been able to get back on the treadmill without any problem.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Celebrex isn't going to fix or cure anything, but it is a different type of pain reliever than typical NSAIDS and works very well for arthritis type pain.

Ask your doctor if Celebrex might be right for you.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    No easy answers...I'm allergic to aspirin so most of the RX stuff is out for me. Still recovering from knee replacement surgery (2/14). Since the surgery I've had hip pain in the opposing hip and the therapist has finally convinced me that with strengthening exercises on both lower extremities I will get relief. They are also working with me on exercises specifically for my back and hips. I take OTC naproxen (along with an antacid) every morning, and use OTC Biofreeze (gel - the roll on stuff just doesn't cut it). I use the Biofreeze sometimes as much as 4 times a day - other days thankfully I don't use it all. The weather makes a difference some times, others not. Through it all, the one thing that makes it better is to keep moving. I pray you find relief from this terrible pain. :)
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
  • Rascal
    Thank you, I vey much appreciate your response!
  • Rascal
    Thank you for your kind reply! I'm hoping to get to the point where I can start walking for exercise again, as right now just going to check the mailbox is a chore..
  • CBBQ
    The Mega Red is a fish oil supplement that doesn't stink.
  • Rascal
    Great, and thanks for your input! Just read about it online and I'm going to try it asap! Over 6 years ago, by chance(?) I learned of a very simple method to end my long-term addiction to nicotine. I went for it, and after 1/2 hour of low-level laser therapy (non-invasive) the cigs became a thing of the past (and at that time it only cost me 165 bucks)! Often times, if you seek answers in life they will come to you!~~
  • Rascal
    Thank you, Blair! With so many members, this forum often goes way beyond the realm of Eggin' support!!
  • CBBQ
    My wife is trying to quit smoking. What kind of laser therapy did you have?
    The cheapest place I found the MegaRed around here is at COSTCO.
  • Rascal
    OK, let me explain... I went for treatment at the Longwood Health Center in Longwood FL (just outside Orlando). I'll have to see if I still have their website book marked. As I mentioned, the procedure is non-invasive and totally painless, so much so that a skeptic might pass it off as being akin to snake-oil. Well, the fact of the matter is that they cured my addiction and after I left the facility I never had one iota of an urge to put another cigatette in my mouth. If you'd like to talk on the phone E-mail me and I'll send my #.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    This spring is the 4th anniversary of two total knee replacements. Without question, it was the smartest move that I ever made. It not only brought relief to what had become almost unbearable knee pain, but it also allowed me to resume a normal "gait" that eliminated a bad case of sciatica.

My point is, it is possible that your hip pain is a symptom of another problem........and not necessarily a problem in and of itself. Don't rule out simple things such as posture, gait, ergonomics (non-supporting mattresses & chairs) and doctor recommended exercises from the arsenal of methods to fight pain.

That said, I have just been diagnosed with arthritis of the lumbar........gotta begin a new exercise regimen myself to fight that......Oh hell......I'd rather be Eggin!!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    for pain I've found that if 4 advils don't kick it that it requires a rx for a stronger med.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • transversal
    I would agree with that, Angela. You reach a point where, if you can't beat it with OTC alternatives, it's RX time......or, in some cases, surgery. Ah yes.....the golden years!!
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
  • Rascal
    Thank you.. I appreciate your interesting comments!!
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    My Doc told me to take Glucosamine and Condroitin (i am sure they are spelled wrong) But when I did I ended up with more pain, they are suposed to help rebuild your cartalige, but the cells in cartalidge don't tend to regenerate, so I don't really know if they do what they say they will, I do know when I eat a lot of meat I will get pain in the joints and it is an acid build up, Cherry juice helps that.
  • CBBQ
    Speaking as someone who's suffered through it, that sounds like gout. Nothing's more painful than that.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yoga has numerous hip opening postures. They provide streatching/strengthining of the muscles around the hips. Yoga also is great for back strengthing. Give it a try starting with a gental class.
    It has changed my life in ways I never thought it would.
    I have bursitis in one of my hips, and back issues.
    Good luck in finding a relief system that works for you.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • doubleA
    doubleA Posts: 20
    this semester (as a student nurse) i am on a orthopedic floor... some things to know about arthritis is, once damage is done, it cant be reversed. the goal of treatment is reduce symptoms and prevent further joint damage.

things to do, take NSAIDs like ibuprofen (advil), lose weight (more for knees/hips), heat and rest, get a TENS machine (electron stimulation), glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, there are also 2nd generation NSAIDs called COX-2 inhibitors like (celebrex) that are very effective for some folks.

main thing here is, early treatment to prevent further joint damage... surgery is a last resort measure when the pain lowers your quality of life and mobility.
  • transversal
    Sounds like you have a touch of gout. That can be treated with diet and an inexpensive prescription. I've had it for years. Red meat causes uric acid build up, which can exacerbate osteo-arthritis.
  • transversal
    Amen to that, brother.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I hear ya on the pain....I failed to mention that I probably break all the rules here, but I alternate ice and heat - lately I've heard that you should only use ice (by this I mean after I've massaged in the BioFreeze). Heat really feels good at times. Another OTC I've heard good things about is Blue Emu - have not tried it as I get good relief with the other. Hang in there. ;)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    I've tried Aleve and Arthritis Strength Excedrin... neither really helped much. Plain Tylenol works about as well as anything for me.
    Hope you figure it out... it's no fun!

Cheers...
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    I've tried Aleve and Arthritis Strength Excedrin... neither really helped much. Plain Tylenol works about as well as anything for me.
    Hope you figure it out... it's no fun!

Cheers...
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I can't start my day without a hot shower and hitting the gym. I've had my back rebuilt, triple fusiona nd knee scraped so I know this helps. I'm on minimum pain meds now. Just one Celebrex every week or two. For nagging pain it's extra strength Tylenol for me. Anything else burns up my stomach. But seriously, have you thought of an exercise regimen? Along with weight loss to lessen the stress on your joints. Egging is healthy, right?
  • transversal
    Hey!! Beaver Falls......isn't that Broadway Joe's home town?