Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control on an XL

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read the all the posts from Temperature Control-BGE Beginner that was posted earlier today. I found all the posts helpful for future cooks.

I understand the closing the top and lower vents to get to specified temp. On an XL, where would the lower vent be closed to get to lets say 250, or 350 ?

I have been doing it for the most part the same as most of you but somehow the temp. Just looking for a good way or routine that will work all the time.

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    About 3/4 inch on the lower vent with the daisy wheel almost half way closed will get you around 250. At least that is what I have found on mine.

After I get it to temp, I check it every 10 minutes and make minor adjustments to keep it there.

I'm still learning and don't have one of those automated temperature control devices. Somehow, that feels like cheating, even though it isn't.
  • Grandpas Grub has a nice pictorial of vent/temp adjustments. I have found out that mine requires more airflow than the pics show. I think every egg is a little different and you'll learn it over time.
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    this is the Grandpa Grub info mentioned above: Vent Settings:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746823&catid=1

I have an XL, when I want 250 degrees I break 2 of those parafin starters in half, and i take 3 or 4 of the pieces and place in 3-4 areas of the lump and I light it with the top cap off and bottom vent open. I leave the dome up too and I let them burn for about 15 minutes, I then plop in the plate setter and grid and close the dome and watch the temps rise. When I get close to 200/210 degrees I start closing the vents to get close to what is show in that link above, and that usually settles me in close to 250 give or take.

Let it sit at its final temp (250ish) for about 30-60 minutes to get stable, throw on your meat, close the lid and walk away. the temps will drop, dont worry. Come back an hour later, you'll be back at your starting temp before you put the meat on, its magic.
  • I have to open my lower vent more than whats on the above link. I think the XL takes longer to heat up and get stable than a large.