Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buddy of mine running a half marathon on Sunday

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What should I make him for his after race meal? Leaning to ribs but thought I would open it up to suggestions.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    just go light on any salt...he'll be thirsty enough...

wish someone did that for me after mine :)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    He is a good buddy, we both like to eat and drink adult beverages too much. But he decided to start training for this on a bet on New years eve. He has made his 11 mile run, just gotta make the half. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Make him something really unhealthy and filling before the race if you have the bet against him. Anything after the race should be good off the egg. My guess he will be eating light and healthy before the race and be hungry by the end of the race. Big ole greasy burger would do the trick!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Ribs sound good, and any lighter beer. It doesn't take many to catch a buzz after a race.

In Davenport, IA there's a brutal 7 miler last Sat in July called The Bix 7. Not a level spot on the course.
    Hostess is one of the major sponsors. At the post race party for the runners, my uncle and I would have some beers with a couple Twinkies. Sounds crazy, but we looked forward to it! :woohoo:
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Scotsborasjr...Many family members have done several marathons. Total carb load is needed, before and after! They serve (good/heavy) beer at the end of the Boston Marathon to restore the electrolytes. Heavy beer...Guinness, etc...then follow with a carb heavy meal! Their bodies are too tired to digest too much proteins/meats! Focus on veggies and starches! JMO!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Light or heavy, it really doesn't matter in regards to electrolytes...
    http://beer.about.com/od/beernutrition/a/beernutrition_2.htm

I was thinking along the lines of something a little more refreshing with a lower alcohol content. Unless he wants to get his buddy wasted and passed out after a few IPAs. Then he doesn't even have to cook. :woohoo:

Wouldn't protein intake help restore glycogen(stored glucose) by increasing the rate of glucose uptake, and repair damaged muscle tissue?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."