Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st time brisket with a butt

edited 3:01AM in EggHead Forum
Hey ho eggheads! Been lurking here since I bought my BGE a few month ago. So as the subject line stated, I am attempting to smoke a brisket and butt together.
Details: 1 12lb brisket, 1 9lb butt, 1 Large green egg, 1 party for my wife's work peeps 3PM-??

I have read a lot about how to do this and I think that I will start at 6PM tonight. I want the meat off and in the cooler by noon. I will smoke butt over brisket but I will use drip pans under both (bark issues got me worried about the drip). I will start with brisket at 6PM (18hours/12X1.5) and add butt at 10PM(14hours/9X1.5). I will smoke with apple chips at 250 degrees. I have Bryons Butt Rub on both and they have been in the frig since yesterday. I will spary the butt with apple juice and the brisket with a beef broth/worscheser/cayenne mix.

Thoughts?
·

Comments

• GrilldogGrilldog Posts: 21
    Good luck, sounds good. I'd figure on at least 1 hour per pound for the brisket cooking time. Most likely it's going to be more since you are cooking at such a low temp and are going raise the lid for a bit when you add the butt. One thought would be that if you are using a dripping pan work out a sauce recipe using the drippings.
    ·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 213
    I think you ought to allow more time just to be safe. I haven't had very good luck trying to cut things that close.

You intend to smoke at 250 degrees so your timeframe may work out. I usually smoke my butts at around 200-225. At that temperature, I would allow about 20 hours for your 9lb butt.
    ·
  • field handfield hand Posts: 420
    It might be safer to use 2 hrs/lb for the butt.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
    ·
  • Ok, here is how it went.

Started smoking the BGE at 5PM @225-240
    12lb brisket sat below rim and closer to the fire.
    It hit 195 at 8:30AM....15.5hours.

9lb butt sat above the rim on a grill extender.
    It hit 170 about 10AM and I was starting to get nervous so I cranked up the BGE to 300.
    It hit 195 (usually like to get it to 200 but I had stuff to do before the party) at 1PM....20hours.

I removed and wrapped them in foil and a towel and placed them in a cooler.

Pulled both meats at 4:30PM and beef was still warm/hot and butt was hot. Butt was the winner by far but the brisket was also very tasty!

Feed 20 people no problem. I think next time I will just do 2 butts. Brisket is good but that pulled pork is money!!!!!
    ·