Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket

Options
whalewatcher
whalewatcher Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last time I tried to install a gasket on the Big Green Egg I removed the lid and it was a total disaster. I still have problems with the springs on the hinges even though I’ve tried to fix them. This time around I was looking for simplicity. I had seen that a company called High-Que offered the high felt gasket material I’m after with a sticky tape backing. Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I have not seen this gasket, nor do I have any experience with it.

I will say, that I managed to replace my gasket with the lid on the egg and it worked out well. I had to apply the 3m glue to a razor blade and then scrape it onto the portion of the lid that is closest to the hinge, but other than that, it was all pretty straight forward.

What did you do with your springs and hinge that fouled them up? to remove the lid, it should just be one bolt. You didn't disassemble the hinge mechanism did you? :ohmy:

Are there any other egg'ers in your area who may be willing to lend a hand? Where are you located?

Best of luck,
    Ted
  • CrimsonEgg
    Options
    I installed the High-Cue gasket about three weeks ago and it is working great. Like you, I worried about having to go too far with disassembly. The simpler, the better. I did lots of research before making the decision because it seemed like maybe it was too good to be true. But I took the chance with the self-adhering High-Cue gasket and it was a breeze. There are several YouTube videos that show you how to do it. So far so good. And I didn't have to take anything apart.