Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peking Duck with Lime Hoisin and pancakes

Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently there were duck breast posts by EggSimon and FL Grillin Girl that got me craving duck. Been a while, other than making my cured smoked duck, so I wanted to change it up a bit! I decided it would be Peking duck, but instead of doing it whole, I decided to spatchcock it. Forgive me, there are a few shots I guess didn't get taken, but I think you'll get the idea.

So, here we go....

DSC00328-1.jpg
Duck, ready for back bone removal, after removing the first two joints of the wing...

DSC00331-1.jpg
Spatchcocked and ready for the Royal bath...

DSC00330-2.jpg
Pot of poaching/blanching liquid, ready to go. (Water, ginger chunks, garlic, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, white pepper, etc...and a corn starch slurry)

DSC00334-1.jpg
After 3, 1 minute submersions and basting...

I know it looks a tad obscene....
DSC00338-1.jpg
But, you can see the glaze left by the poaching/basting liquid.

Now the patience part...It has to dry for a number of hours. I chose overnight.
DSC00339-2.jpg
Here it is, after a night uncovered in the fridge, and ready for the Egg!

DSC00340.jpg
Onto the Egg, indirect, with raised drip pan and frog matt, 400* dome temp. I have to say, the frog matt was perfect for this, as I was able to rotate the bird easily and absolutely nothing stuck.

On to the pancakes while the duck does it's thing...
DSC00348-1.jpg
Dough mixed and resting. FAR less complicated than a good pizza dough!

DSC00353.jpg
Portioned...

DSC00352-2.jpg
And I cheated, and used my tortilla press!! :whistle: Sorry, no pics of the pancakes cooking.

DSC00354-1.jpg
Here she is, ready to come off the Egg!! Took about 1.5 hours. NICE crisp skin! Internal of thighs was 191*, and I couldn't make myself poke into the breasts. But I assure you, it was done!

DSC00355-1.jpg
Yeah baby...Duck is resting.

DSC00361.jpg
Half of it carved, and ready for dinner! Went a bit beyond tradition, and served with julienned carrot and cucumber, some cilantro and lime, and traditional scallion 'paint brushes' for the Hoisin Lime sauce.

DSC00357-1.jpg
Painting the pancake...

DSC00360.jpg
Ready to eat!!

A very tasty meal!! Though IF I do Peking duck at home in the future, I will probably prep 5-10 duck! A LOT of work for just one duck! :blink:

Hope you enjoyed, and my apologies if this was too long. :blush:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Michelle,

Just awesome!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Chicken and waffels??? :laugh: I think you TRUMPED that! :) Looks Delish!
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Steve! I'm just glad that I keep up with the cleaning as I go! As it is, the kitchen is trashed!! :blink: It was fun, though!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    LC, really enjoyed your inspirational cook, care to elaborate on the royal bath and starch slurry? did you pierce the skin before egging? have a frozen duck and thinking of copycating :blush:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Hoss! It was interesting to see if the skin would brown up since it didn't 'look' like there was anything on the skin prior to the cook after drying. We were pleased with the results. ;) Thanks!
  • Little Chef
    Gary: I must be honest, I did research, and combined a bunch of recipes, and I also admit, I don't measure a dang thing!! :blush: I will do my best though...but remember these are 'give and take' measurements...

For the bath.... (T=Tablespoon)
    About 8 cups water
    4 T soy sauce
    3 T Sherry (dry)
    1 T white vinegar
    2 inches fresh ginger root, chunked
    4 T honey
    Spices of your choice....Cinnamon, Whole allspice, cloves, Star Anise....whatever you like, or none!
    Then add a slurry of cornstarch...About 4 T cornstarch to a couple T cold water till smooth, then add to the mixture until it is thickened some!

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I also used a frozen duck! Just thawed it in my fridge for 2-3 days before I began the process. So get that duck thawed!! :laugh: Also, since I spatchcocked and dried, I found no reason for a bunch of piercing of the skin! It was NOT fatty in the least.

Thanks for the kind words, and GO FOR IT!! :)
  • Little Chef
    Thanks! Was delicious. ;)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Wow that's a lotbof prep! Nice cook!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Wow LC! Five star cook for sure. You are spoiling BT - LOL.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    One of my favorite dishes to eat out Michelle. wish were were down there I would have headed across state, I bet I would never order it out again though LOL looks like you killed it!!
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Looks great Michelle. Will try it one day! Thanks for sharing. Andy
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    now that there looks friggin tasty - I'm sure bubba does not deserve such treatment
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wow does that look delish!

Only ducks I've ever seen that look that great are overhead and committed. :evil: :P
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    LC,

The duck looks delish! Thanks for the excellent photo's. The poaching technique is interesting, makes me want to give it a try after seeing you do it. :cheer: Great color on the skin!

Frogmat's! Picked one up from the dealer at Sunshine State Eggfest and glad I did.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Superb!!!!!!!! ;):)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Man that looks good. So if I make it to the Florida fest next spring can I expect Peking duck? :>)
  • Michelle,
    Beautifully illustrated!
    Was wondering about the fat -- you said wasn' t a problem.....Ku is always reluctant to cook a whole duck due to the abundance of fat issue....and the few times we tried (oven style) the duck was TOUGH :sick:
    Can you give any tips on picking the duck so we may try your method without fear of past issues?
    Thanks for the recipe, too. Had to laugh about not measuring - - that's how I learned to cook from my grandmother B)
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Wow that looks delicious... I really like duck. I believe that will now be on my list.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Beautiful, Michelle, just Beautiful :) :ohmy: :cheer:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is one of the best looking meals I have seen in a long time! It does look like a great deal of work but I'm sure it was worth it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    pretty lookin cook there. i love peking duck but never even bothered to think i could do it. looks pretty easy.

i was always scared off because the restaurants when i was i kid always requested that you order it a day in advance :laugh:

i thought that was because it took all day to prepare. maybe it was just so they could get the duck. :huh:

you said the skin was crispy. did you have to do anything other than what you showed us? did you lift the skin off the breast or anything, work it free, etc.?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    Thanks...It was pretty easy, but one of those cooks you just know ahead of time that you'll trash the kitchen. I think the day ahead ordering thing is the drying time needed on the skin. It really surprised me how firm the sub q fat was after the overnight drying. There was also a significant amount of fat reduction during the poaching/basting. There was probably only about 4 T of fat in the drip pan at the end of the cook, which is significantly less than I have experienced with plain roast duck cooks.

As far as freeing the skin, I should have, but admittedly skipped this step. One recipe I came across did say to 'inflate' the skin like a balloon, which probably would have been fun...but I would have had to find the tire pump. I don't know how significantly it would have improved the skin, which was crispy enough to 'crunch' when cutting it. The crunchy wings were the cooks treat. :whistle:

Next time I will add heavier flavors to the poaching liquid, and salt! The bird was definately lacking seasoning, but was still tasty. Hmmm...that just gave me the idea of a 24 hour cold brine, then poach, then dry....hmmm. :ermm: Let us know if you try it!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Michelle, what an awesome cook! What gorgeous, crispy, mahogany duck skin. :)

And I learned that you can use a tortilla press for the pancakes and you don't need to tie off the neck and tail and blow air under the skin. This is a much more approachable method! Thanks.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's great!
    you told a great story with your pictures :)
    context is important :)
  • Awesome, just awesome. And beautiful pictures, too. No it is not too long!

How did you cook the pancakes? They look really pretty.

I have a whole duck in my freezer that I was hesitating to cook whole. Maybe it will be spatcocked now.

That bubba is a lucky hubby.

Thanks!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    DUDE!! My heart just skipped a beat. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    DOW: Are the ducks you have tried in the past farm raised, or wild? I bought this duck at Restaurant Depot, frozen solid like a rock, so no real art in picking it out, sorry! I used a raised drip pan covered in foil to catch the fat. What method have you used for duck in the past? The legs and thighs are definately tougher than chicken, but certainly very edible!
  • Little Chef
    Faith, Thanks!! The pancakes were cooked in a dry skillet...easy recipe courtesy of Ming Tsai.
    1 c flour
    3/4 c boiling water
    pinch of salt
    1 T peanut oil
    1 t sesame oil

Mix the flour and water together rapidly, until it starts to come together. Then add the oils and a pinch of salt, and work with your hand a couple minutes. After a 5 minute rest, ready to roll (or press in this case) being liberal with the flour on your work space.

Brush each pancake with a tiny bit of peanut oil when about to cook it, and cook in heated skillet until it starts to brown, flip, and good to go! They can be done ahead, then steamed to re-heat.

I really liked the way the duck cooked being spatchcocked! Even though this duck cooked about 1.5 hours, there was still wonderful juices, particularly in the breast. I will do it again. So get that duck thawing! :laugh: I am sure you will do something amazing with it! :)