Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg front surrounded by table or not?

beernut
beernut Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I just got my XL last week and i love it of course. Built a temporary table but the plan is to put this thing of beauty in an outdoor kitchen counter. I can't decide if I like the Egg surrounded by the table, surrounded by the table with a cutout up to the egg in front (like a vee in the front), or just sitting on a shelf. I've seen all 3 methods in some good looking setups. Any pros/cons to help me decide?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    The XL is difficult to move, so a cutout front makes some sense for it. Other than that it is pretty much whatever appeals to you. FYI, the eggs are very stable critters and really don't need to be in a hole unless you have rowdy dogs or children :P :laugh:
  • I just finished designing my table and purchased all of the wood and tools. Now I just need to get off my lazy behind and build the thing!

We're buying a large, and I chose to have it surrounded by table. I live in the Chicago area, and it gets VERY windy around here (it ain't called the Windy City for nothing!). Our dog fence continually gets knocked down and our gasser tends to get blown around a bit during bad storms/rough winds (like last night).

While I seriously doubt that the large would blow over since it weighs as much as I do, it's not a risk I'm wiling to take. Our patio is slightly uneven due to some large cracks, so I am worried that the extra incline could be enough to cause it to tip in extra rough winds if it was sitting in just a cutout. The whole process is going to cost me over $1500 when all is said and done, so I want it to be as secure as possible.

The XL is significantly wider and probably less likely to tip. Hmm... if I had an XL, I think I'd still build the table around it. When you move your table around, it would be less nerve wracking if it was in it's own little (or big!) hole.
  • beernut
    beernut Posts: 7
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't really thought about wind Booking It but we have been known to have some wind around here too. Not far from Land of Oz you know. And although my 19 yr old has settled down considerably he has friends that share a single brain (and not a high-powered one at that). No telling what they might do. Think I will opt for the surround.
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    beernut I built my table for my new XL with the table surrounding the Egg. I used 32" cedar posts and made my frame 60" x 32" using 5 3/8 by 1" cedar and then used the same for cross beams and table top. Including the top it has 3 levels of shelves.
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    You could put the cut out in the back if that works in your design.Then after you place your egg fill in the gap with same material.Then if you have to remove it just take it apart.I did that so I wouldn't have to lift the egg so high with my bad back.Nor did I have to remove the dome to lighten the load.
    Back door entry
    P1010100.jpg
    front
    P1010110.jpg
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    I went with the surround. Don't plan on moving it and I want the peace of mind that it's not going to fall out.

IMG_20110424_133531.jpg
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    If you're going to move the table around a lot, then I'd go with the surround. But if you're not going to move it, then I say not. So much easier to get the egg in there!

Also, I don't have a table yet but when I do, a big consideration for me will be how far back the egg sits. I see some tables and it seems that you'd have to be leaning in to turn your meat and stuff and that would be really hard on my back. So I'm going to have my egg very close to the edge of the table, if I ever get one.

I like the idea of having a removable thingie so you can slide the egg in and then close it up, but be able to easily open it back up again should you ever need to.