Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Simple Dinner with Tweaked Potatoes & Filet Mignon

Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,596
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somebody gave me a small bacon wrapped filet mignon. I'm really a ribeye girl, but hey, it was free and good quality.

I made lowercase bill's scalloped potatoes again, but this time I sprinkled DP Raging River and thin slices of garlic cloves over each layer of thinly sliced red potatoes, poured in some heavy cream. Bill is right, this ceramic slicer is dynamite. Perfectly safe for your hands if you're careful.

IMG_0176.jpg

This is the first layer, followed by enough layers to fill up the Le Creuset ceramic dish (which is good up to 500°).

IMG_0178.jpg

Put the dish direct on the regular grid of the Small Egg with foil under it, a good thing because of the overflow when it bubbled. Using Clay Q's method of turning the thermometer so the target temp is at the top and the dial points straight up when it's reached. A much better way to check on the Egg temp from inside and looking out the glass door to the patio.

IMG_0183.jpg

It took an hour and 10 minutes for the cream to thicken and to brown.

IMG_0189.jpg

Opened the top and bottom and let the fire build. Then put the filet right down on the coals and turned it on all sides to char and cook the bacon. One piece of lump always stick to the meat, every time, but easily removed with the tongs.

IMG_0195.jpg

I can't say how I know it's done...I just know. Didn't bother with a Thermapen. Made brussel sprouts and coated them with the creamy sauce coming out of the potatoes.

IMG_0200.jpg

Simple is SO good!
Judy in San Diego
·

Comments

• All looks great but the potatoes look awesome.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,680
    Excellent, Judy!! Commando, huh? Good on ya!!!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Wow Judy!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·
  • Great looking dish! Filet mignon looks perfect - ditto with the potatoes and brussel sprouts!
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    YOU GO GURL! Looks like a GREAT meal! :)
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,272
    Very nice meal Judy! What brand is that mandolin?
    Thanks.
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,596
    Molly:
    It's Kyocera brand. And it has adjustable thickness too.
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,807
    Knock em out Judy :lol:
    Looks too good...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Caveman Style Steak!! :woohoo: Everything looks perfectly executed. Great job.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    what a perfect meal.. nice to see you caveman the steak too.,perfectly cooked
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Deeeeeelicious Judy! Love steaks done right on the coals.
    ·
  • snake701uksnake701uk Posts: 187
    That looks a great cook Judy. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Andy
    ·
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    GRRR, I have to go out for dinner tonight :(
    ·
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    Wow! I am ready for dinner after seeing your great meal!
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,282
    Judy,
    the meal is AGEM and I love tatties! ;)
    How much cream did you use, measured or enough to cover?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,596
    Just poured some on. Don't overdo it or it will be too soupy. You want to have just enough so the cream reduces--it will thicken and coat all the potato slices.

Bill's directions were to only do one layer at a time because if you dump all the potatoes in at one time, they'll stick together. You definitely want them separate.

I also topped the top layer with little bits of butter. I forgot to say that.
    Judy in San Diego
    ·