Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook and semi-finished table

Options
Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the past two weeks I've really dragged my butt about finishing off the table however it's now in satisfactory condition. Still a few things to do but it's serviceable. Just in time for an actually nice day here in Northern Jersey! Couldn't waste the day so I had a few cold ones and had at it.

Took a few chicken breasts, made a small slit, and stuffed with a mixture of bleu cheese, S&P, and spring greens. Wrapped those bad boys in beef bacon (to me, beef bacon gives a great taste contrast with chicken), and plopped them on the adjustable rig @ 350ish until done.

Chicken came out nice and juicy, cheese was melted and soaked into the chicken, and the bacon was amazingly good. Nice and smokey. :)

IMG_20110426_180100.jpg

As for the cart, it's 64" long, 34" deep, and 32" high. Egg sits on a dual layer of split firebrick which is housed inside a perforated stainless steel pan. Shouldn't have any problems with heat or scorching.

I'm a mechanical designer/programmer at a large manufacturing facility and whipped up a nice stainless steel countertop. I'm very pleased to say that the egg cutout came out perfect and there is a 1/8" space evenly around the circumference of the egg. I'm happy with the table but it's very, very heavy.

I want to thank all of you friendly eggheads for your sound advice, amusing banter, and above all the inspiration to purchase an egg and start the journey to being a better cook. Yous are some amazing folks!

On a side note, wifey and I just purchased this house in January so we're still relatively new to the area. You should have seen the looks on some of the neighbors faces when I wheeled this monstrosity out into the driveway, fired up the weed torch, and set to lighting the lump. Absolutely hilarious!

IMG_20110424_133531.jpg

IMG_20110424_133541.jpg

IMG_20110424_133554.jpg

IMG_20110424_133603.jpg

IMG_20110409_110556.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    now that is one serious cart! love the top! people that do not know are funny to watch. when we bought our vacation home in Fl two years ago and hauled our old truck down with the bed packed solid with wicked good lump they were all floored. bad enough that we were under 55 (not an over 55 park but they would like it) we heard all kinds of things LOL now they suffer the smells 5 months out of the year and are very sorry they were not nicer to us! sometimes it is good to have younger neighbors LOL
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Nice stainless top, should wear well with no food stains. You may want to reposition your 3 feet with one on either side of the bottom vent about 4 inches from the vent and the 3rd foot centered in back. It will make for easy ash removal when cleaning ash out vent.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Jerzee
    Options
    Funny story Mainegg. :)

G&C: I tried 1 foot centered in the back but when I opened the dome, the whole egg seemed to tip backwards a little. Perhaps I didn't have it perfectly centered?

I should just order up another set of feet. :P
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    How did you manage to open those cold ones? :laugh:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Nice table. I have got to break down and get me one of those push bars. I put a cheap towel rack on mine thinking it would work and smashed it the first time I pushed the cart...of course. Nice chicken cook too. When your table is done send a picture to the naked whiz he has tables from all over the world on his site...very interesting to see if you haven;t visited his website. It has everything you can imagine.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Great minds think alike! I love my SS top, so easy to keep clean. Similar pull bar and SS under the Firebrick too! I made up a SS box for my plate setter and pizza stone which sure helps with storage issues I was having.

Very nice job!

P1020809.JPG
  • Jerzee
    Options
    Tony - Much of my inspiration came from NakedWhiz's site. :) I'll have to send him some pics.

Rod - What a gorgeous cart! The stain you used is beautiful. Do you cover the whole cart overnight? I couldn't seem to find a premade cover that fit my tables' dimensions so I grabbed a heavy duty tarp and use that with bungee cords.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Jerzee wrote:
    Tony - Much of my inspiration came from NakedWhiz's site. :) I'll have to send him some pics.

Rod - What a gorgeous cart! The stain you used is beautiful. Do you cover the whole cart overnight? I couldn't seem to find a premade cover that fit my tables' dimensions so I grabbed a heavy duty tarp and use that with bungee cords.

Thank you. It's all Western Red Cedar (the legs are old growth which is why they are darker) coated with Sikkens Cetol as it's such a good outdoor protection. As far as a cover goes, I had one made for me. It's really easy to create a pattern for whomever will make it. Just drape a heavy poly sheet over the table, mountain fold the corners, and mark with a sharpie all the edges, corners and areas that need re-enforcement. I drew it out with measurements and it was made it a day out of Sunbrella boat top material. Awesome stuff! B) (The cover goes to the ground not just the top)

IMG00646-20100914-1939.jpg
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Chicken looks tasty and the cart looks cool.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com