Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prayers

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope all of you will join Shelagh and I and keep the rest of the forum members in your prayers. With the weather, conditions going on there are a lot of folk out there that could use some uplifting of spirits. It is amazing what is going on around the country.

The folks that are affected by the drought, flooding, storms and other problems, we pray you are safe. If there is anything we can to do, however, small we will try to help.

Hope you and your loved ones are safe.

Kent

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    It is incredible. We had tons of snow and cold this winter but nothing life threatening. A little flooding this spring, but not too bad.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Thanks, GG.
    My daughter and SiL (olemissrn on Forum), who lost his Dad recently live in Hot Springs, AR and had a tornado go over their house, dropping several trees. Nobody injured and the house was not hit, but driveway blocked by fallen trees!
  • AgDawg
    AgDawg Posts: 20
    It really is crazy down there. My wife teaches at Memphis City Schools and they have been going through drills every week due to tornado sirens. I am trying to sell my house and so far only have a damaged wooden fence where the wind threw one of my patio chairs through the gate and it broke the boards where the latch attaches to the fence. I have been praying everyday for my friends and family in Memphis and Mississippi. So many close calls.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ill take the snow over the tornadoes and hurricanes any day. another 14 or so inches and my maine property stands a chance of going under, the weather needs to hold out a week or two until all the snow melts.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub

We are in the same situation. We are something above 170% of snow fall with 18" or more today & still snowing. If we get a warm up it will be heavy floods. We have already had some heavy flooding up north. Two Home Depots are offering as many free sandbags (no sand) for anyone who wants them. Several other companies are providing the sand to fill the bags up.

We have only 1 or 2 tornado's in my lifetime one causing damage in downtown Salt Lake, the other just here. We do get storms that have 50 to 80mph winds. In the base of the canyons and upper canyons it has been measured as high as 120mph. It isn't uncommon to see huge trees ripped right out of the ground.

I complain about the snow but I would have to agree that is much better than the tornado's.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    we get an occassional tornado every few years but usally doesnt amount to anything. two years ago traveling north i just missed a down burst, happened just minutes before i got there, never even heard of one before, vertical high velocity wind gust pushed a barn straight down, then rolled every vehicle around the barn away from the barn. pow, and gone two seconds later :blink: tractor trailer rig was rolled maybe 30 yards, three story barn flat to the ground
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Thanks Kent, it has been a rough spring for us and I know others are getting it worse.
    I dont know what they are showing on national news, but the school in Jacksonville Ar, that was hit is less than 1/4 mile from us, as is the air force base houses that were hit. The town of Vilonia is where all of Rhondas family lives, it missed her mothers house by a couple of blocks, her brother lost some trees and a fence, house is good. more on the way tonight, I'm making chili!! :)
  • Grandpas Grub

What a feeling of panic, not something I would want to experience. We will get snow whiteouts. Heavy enough snow that one can't see much past the windshield. It gets real worrisome trying to find a spot to pull over. Fear of not getting far enough off the road not to get rear ended. The department of transportation as 'posts' on the sides of the road with a small reflector. White reflector to indicate the left shoulder and yellow reflector to indicate the right shoulder. (or might be the other way around). Truckers will drive 50 mph using those reflectors to stay on the road even though visibility is extremely limited. Following the big rigs is a real white knuckle experience as the concern about driving to slow.

The road west from her to Reno/San Francisco often has high wind warnings. Many a loaded semi had been blown over. I have been driving a sedan and have had to the steering 2o to 30 degrees off center to stay on the road. Sometimes a gust of wind would move me over a lane. In those conditions it makes one slow down real quick.

• bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Our prayers are with everybody affected no matter the circumstances. We've seen a good bit here in Alabama. May God comfort those in need. Randy
  • Grandpas Grub

We just see a lot of flooding and some shots of devastation in different areas of tornado hits. I always wonder who (eggr's are in those palces). It is amazing the paths that are made.

Do your guys just down to the basement or a shelter of some type. I would guess it would make sleeping a though task.\

All the going on's out here and the rest of the country has me wanting to update some of my ham equipment and buy some for the kids. I can't convince them the importance of having some emergency communications equipment.

Our best to you guys and Rhonda's family.

Kent
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    A timely post. Seems everybody has had their share of weather problems this winter and spring.

We live 50 miles west of St Louis and watched the storm pass through our area that an hour or so later became a major tornado and hit the StL airport and surrounding communities. We were lucky we didn't have any damage, but our hearts went out to those folks that were hit. We used to live in Bridgeton, the area that endured the EF4 tornado. The last couple days this lingering storm system has moved south and the storm track is now over southern Missouri and Arkansas. This system has been hanging around for a week, supposed to move out Thursday.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Most houses here dont have basements, a lot of people have concrete storm shelters buried in the backyard, those who dont have fraidy holes go to a room in the middle of the house, for us its the MB closet, and hunker down. the good thing is the whole thing usually only last 30 minutes or so, from intial warning till its past.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Amen to that. I will say a prayer for those in need.
  • Grandpas Grub

Man that is scarey. If I were t here I would build underground.

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    We need to be watching the weather tonight. Storms are coming from Hoss and Fire Truck's area. Hope their OK. :unsure:
  • Thank you for the message. The country (and the world), one way or another, is being afflicted with some sort of challenges. We need God and God needs us! Prayer works!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I agree.Blessings to ALL!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Amen to that Kent. Folks have been on my mind fo quite some time.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE