Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oh wow

Options
theBEST
theBEST Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
Do i really have to click on EVERY reply to read a thread? Why aren't all the posts listed together under the individual threads? Where is the "quote" button.

This site has amazing information but a very poor forum design.

I was just punched in the face by a wall of adds while trying to read a thread with 10 posts.

Has anyone here used a fully functioning forum?

I apologize if i'm insulting anyone but i'm honestly shocked by the unorganized structure. Especially when there are so many options...

Anyway happy egging...

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    those are banners, to the top left of the banner sections click on the red arrow, they disappear til a new announcement is made. your in classic view which alot of us have actually found to be better with the speed this forum moves and how quickly questions get answered, try threaded view or flat view. the box forums are avoided here, they dont encourage quick timely responses to todays cooks that need answers now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theBEST
    Options
    i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how fast information can be passed onto someone. scrolling a mouse down a page looking at all the replies seems a lot faster then reading a reply, clicking a link, reading a reply, clicking a link... 20 times...

I do appreciate the response though.

Take care,
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    :laugh: forum regulars read the last 25 forum as quick as a post is made :laugh: you dont see many answering a post after its a day old here, its past history
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You might get some really helpful hints to overcome your frustrations if you didn't come across as such a condescending prick.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I can remember when this was a friendlier place.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, I agree.

I just tend to get miffed when I invite a guy over for dinner and all he does is **** about the color of the paint on the walls, the style of rug on the floor, that the rice in the paella is woefully underdone, then he starts kissing my wife.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I understand now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    set your forum to flat view. that opens all replies and you can scroll your finger off if you want to. some don't like reading every reply all at once

you can read all the replies one after another with 'flat view', you can see the thread by conversation in 'classic view' (that way you can avoid idiot side-bar conversations like fidel and steven. in flat view, you can't quite tell who is talking to whom.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Easy now....I resemble that remark...LMAO
  • theBEST
    Options
  • theBEST
    Options
    Perhaps my post came off a little harsh. I still think i have a valid point though. Maybe i'm just use to one style of forum. When you first look at this site... well it's kind of all over the place to be honest.

I've changed some settings which makes reading posts a little easier. But i get this idea that it's more about daily posts and not so much about threads that last.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's got a logic that works, honestly. and if a person wanted flat view, like every other forum out there, it's available.

the big misconception that people have about this place is that it is run by BGE, set up to sell the BGE and get people answers about the BGE. nope.

it's a forum of collective yahoos, geniuses, chefs, goobers, wingnuts, and fine folks who all just happen to have the same grill.

what does that mean? well, if a person comes here looking for the answer to "how do i set up my grill for an overnight cook" and then wants to click to the "overnighters" forum, click on the "set-up configurations" folder, and then find the most recent thread discussing how to set up, well, good luck.

or you could read around, try a futile search, and then just ask "hey, just got a BGE, hada hell of a time finding anything about setting up for an overnight, how do i do it?"

and in ten minutes you'll have ten replies, each a little different, showing you how it's done.

sounds inefficient, but it's easier for you, frankly, it will introduce you to some knowledgeable people, and (something rarely pointed out), it allows the 'standard' way of doing things to evolve. there isn't one way to set it up, and if we simply had a sticky post showing the original way to do it, things would stagnate a bit more.

and as longer term members tire of answering the same questions, more recent converts usually pick up the slack and take over.

it's a much more dynamic forum than most grill forums by far.

and like anything good, including the BGE itself, it has idiosyncrasies. those, in fact, are what set it apart.

a defense? nah. an opinion, and not necessarily mine. just one that hasn't been proven wrong yet, and which a lot of people here subscribe to.

ask a question, get five answers. that pretty much makes clicking through a set of nested neatly arranged folders seem kind of flaccid to me.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • theBEST
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback stike and i see where you're coming from.

The fast responses and instant information could be very valuable.

Many of the forums i surf tend to punish people for starting threads that have been answered many times.
  • mentsmin
    mentsmin Posts: 29
    Options
    theBEST wrote:
    Many of the forums i surf tend to punish people for starting threads that have been answered many times.

I've also found this to be the case. However, the search function on this board isn't terribly useful. I take it you can't search for three letter words (a first, in my experience), but it seems like you can't even search for a phrase made up of three letter words (such as "hot tub," in quotation marks).