Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bulding Materials Question

Options
AgDawg
AgDawg Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Can you take the plans to lowes or home depot and have them cut everything to size? I don't have much equipment and was wondering if I could get them to cut the lumber that I purchase from them. Would make things a lot easier.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't know about that, but as few years ago another egger volunteered to make the table for a case of beer and a few slabs of ribs. Post where you live and you may get lucky.
  • AgDawg
    AgDawg Posts: 20
    Options
    I am up in Ankeny,IA.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Hey AgDawg

I know that dome places will cut wood for you, but they typically charge a fee per cut. The first two might be free, but after that they ask for .50-1.00 per cut.

I think if you have everything spec'd out, you might be able to get most of the way there. They won't be able to help cut the 21" circle for the opening for the large egg, but you can buy a cheap jig saw for that.

Good luck with your quest. If you were in California, I'd be first in line to help.

Ted
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    A local lumber yard would probably be able to reccomend a handyman/woodworker that would do it for you for, like Richard says, a slab of ribs or some pulled pork. :P :)
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    Options
    I just built my table. My local Home Depot made most of the cuts for me. In my case it was more of ease of transporting the wood. They didn't charge me anything to make the cuts. The guys there told me they no longer charge for the cuts. You do have to be careful because they won't necessarily be as accurate as you might like. In fact I had them cut everything about an inch longer than I needed and then accurately cut at home with a mitre saw.
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I made mine with a 7-1/4" skill saw,jig saw, a square, cordless drill, and a couple of clamps and saw horses.
    If you have the skills buy the tools and then you'd have them for your next project.But if you know someone who is a wood crafter that would work too.
    Not so sure I'd want Lowes or Home depot cut my wood.