Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good place you all have here

Options
jgroes
jgroes Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

Good forum you all have here. The cumulative knowledge level on here is simply amazing. Been lurking for awhile now while I decided on going with a BGE or BSK. I made the plunge this past Friday and left the local dealer with a large BGE, to include enough accessories to get me started for a weekend of grilling and experimenting.

After getting it all slapped together Friday night I placed a good amount of lump in the fire box and let er rip. I didn't plan on cooking anything, but rather I wanted to play around with controlling the temperature of the unit before putting food on the grill. I was amazed at how easily the unit lights and quickly reaches high temperatures. I was equally blown away by how easy it was to reach and hold a steady temperature of ~ 230F. This was without food mind you.

My first cook was a 10# pork butt as I know it's a forgiving cut. I put the cut on the grill Friday evening for an indirect cook after letting it sit in a generous rubbing of dizzy pig for a few hours. I started at 7PM and was able to get the temperature to stabilize to within +/- 5F of my targeted 230F cooking temp. I was well aware that keeping the temp stable with 10 #'s of meat on the grill would be a little more challenging than the night before. I used a ET73 probe to keep track of the grill and food temp. Electing to keep the grill probe at grate level gave me a delta of ~30-50 degrees initially, but closed throughout the cook. Seeing how this was my first overnight cook I decided to bunk out on the couch as not to wake the boss in the event the alarm when off on the ET73. Good thing I did as I'm most certain I would have gotten the boot by the second time the alarm went off!

I set my low grill alarm to 215F with the high alarm on 245F. The first few hours took regular small adjustments on the top vent to keep the temps within the above range. By 11pm I thought I had the temperature stabilized enough to hit the pit. The first alarm when off at 1AM for a low temp warning. After opening her up a bit, I got the temps to stabilize again. This repeated itself about 3 more times throughout the early morning hours. I had a few good hours early on Sunday with little variance with temps. Then, from about 10AM on Sunday until the cut reached 200F I had to make regular adjustments, albeit small. Again, I was amazed at how easy it is to fine tune the airflow to reach a desired temp, but was somewhat surprised at how tricky it was to get it to stay there.

I’m curious if this is common, in that frequent small adjustments are required during a slow and low cook?

The great news is that the butt came out very nicely and was oh so tender and juicy. Sorry to say I didn’t take any pics… I will from here on out. The wife enjoyed the meal so much she requested I do a slow and low for ~30 #’s of butt for a gathering this weekend. I feel pretty comfortable with pulling it off just fine, I would just like to get a few more hours of solid sleep during the cook. Any tips on how to keep the temperature within range would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the help that will surely be provided and it’s nice be a member of the community.

Cheers,
Joe

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I am amazed your first cook was an all nighter. Usually one would do a chicken or hamburgers but you jumped right in with the attitude, what the heck. Congrats on your first cook and you will probably have many more just like your first.

Welcome to the "Cult".

Gary
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Use 250 dome as a goal.The LBGE will hold 250 dome for hours on end with no adjustments necessary.Make sure to completely clean out the egg before you start and use fresh lump.I have filled mine to the top of the firering and gone over 20 hours with no adjustments whatsoever while cooking multiple butts.Once the egg is stabilized and burning clean,add the meat and DO NOT readjust the vents,it will recover and restabilize at the preset temp.Good Luck!
  • jgroes
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    Use 250 dome as a goal.The LBGE will hold 250 dome for hours on end with no adjustments necessary.Make sure to completely clean out the egg before you start and use fresh lump.I have filled mine to the top of the firering and gone over 20 hours with no adjustments whatsoever while cooking multiple butts.Once the egg is stabilized and burning clean,add the meat and DO NOT readjust the vents,it will recover and restabilize at the preset temp.Good Luck!

Great advice Hoss. I've read to clean it our before each use, which I planned on doing with a shopvac. I think I went wrong with controlling the temperature by trying to manually raise it after placing the cut on the grill. This opposed to letting it naturally come back to temperature like you stated. Lesson learned...

Many thanks,
    joe
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Joe, Welcome to the forum. :)

Get your lump burning a 250F dome. Now that your egg is 250F dome and you don't adjust again for around one hour with your plate setter and drip pan in there the whole time. Now your egg is stabilized.

You can put the butt or butts in straight from the fridge. Now your dome temp will go down but, don't adjust because you egg will recover. Watch your egg for approx an hour or so until you egg goes back to 250F dome now rest and check in three hours or set your ET-73. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Joe, I think you are headed in the right direction just bump up the temp a little. we do butts at 250 like the others have said and I take the meat out of the frig when I light the egg and let it start warming up. one it is stable with the plate setter in place, it will come back to that temp with out messing with anything. that is one big cold hunk of meat and it is going to influence the thermometer.
    we do not vac or do a big clean before each use unless it is along low and slow. just shake down the ash and clean it out. but not major. you will not see much ash.
    We do have a pretty cool forum :) and a great bunch of people all make it work by adding to it. Julie
  • Gullzway
    Gullzway Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I too have done my butts at 220 and had to make adjustments here and there. I'll try 250 next time and see if it's more stable!
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Hey Joe, and welcome to the forum. Basically use the advice everyone else here has given you. I usually get the egg stabalized at the temp I want it without the plate setter in. Once stabalized and the lump has burned off a little, I add the platesetter in. The dome temp will drop some just by adding the cold platesetter in, but like everyone said, I let it come back up to temp without adjusting the vents. Once it settles back in where I had it before putting in the platesetter in, I feel very confident that it is stabalized. Add the meat and forget about it at that point. I have had the temp still vary just a bit after this process, but never enough that it affected the cook. Once these things get warm and stable, they are amazing at holding very close temps. Hope it helps and have fun with it.
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Hey Joe,
    Where you goin' with that egg in your hand?

Welcome
  • jgroes
    Options
    dugdbug wrote:
    Hey Joe,
    Where you goin' with that egg in your hand?

Welcome

I'm going down to shoot my old lady You know, I've caught her messin' around with another egg...

Good one,
    Joe