Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ij just saw a video on YouTube, Best of the West Cook off. They were doing Spare Ribs. One guy said 225 for 3 hours. Does that sound right ?

I am glad I watched. I plan on making spare ribs for Mother's Day and the last thing I want to do is overcook Spare Ribs.

Another question: How many racks can go in an XL ? Levels ?

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I only have a large,so not sure how many will fit.I DO know this,spares will take 7 to 8 hours,or more, at that temp.There are tricks you can use to speed em up,like foil.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01633a.jpg

At 225° pit temp, even when sized down to St Louis style spares like these, I would be just over the halfway point after three hours.....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    I've always done all my ribs (babyback, spare, beef) at a dome temp of 250 for 5 hours. I then crank the temp up for the last 30 minutes and baste to get a good carmelized layer of BBQ sauce on them.

I have trimmed my spare ribs before, but actually prefer them untrimmed. They are always fall of the bone and amazing.

Also, I use a rib rack that fits 6 slabs. On my XL, I have done 7 slabs. 6 on the rack and one on the grate
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do spares for 6-7 hours, sometimes longer.

Maybe that cook was direct, which would cut down the time some, but I still don't see spares getting done in 3 hours at 225.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can't overcook spare ribs. trust me. i screwed up once and let them go 9 hours once. they were the best ever. perhaps a little too 'fall off the bone', but just like a butt, you can only mess it up by taking it off too soon
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante