Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This forum is amazing!

Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you consider that yes we have a couple of "real" chefs on here but most of us are common house hold cooks with full time jobs and family's and many things that take up our time. the egg is a passion/hobby means of feeding our self and family and friends and relax.
when you go down Stikes post and others from the holiday cooks and even a lot of every day cooks it is amazing! some of this stuff we can see on the food channels and never really feel we can do it. but as a forum member and talking to our peers it opens every door for anything you are willing to try. thankfully the fails are shared to and it keeps us all human! just want to thank every person that has posted and added to this well of cooking knowledge! a lot of the time I read a post and do not respond much just because it sounds kind of stupid always typing great cook or looks "yummy" but I have not seen much I would not pick up my fork for on here. it is a pretty amazing crowd. and any new eggers on here you wait! if you are just stating and you think the steak or chicken you did was good LOL wait till you make your first bacon or home made bread from sourdough you have been feeding for three days LOL :pinch:

Comments

• I concur! I have learned so much on here. I cannot imagine cooking on my mini without the guidance that I have received. I also agree about stepping up my game. I thought I was all that because I could grill some really nice steaks and chicken breasts. I am constantly encouraged by "regular" folk like me making amazing looking food. I'll throw out another thanks to everyone on this board! :cheer:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Well said, child! One spitball headed your way!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I;'m anxious to hear how your bread comes out!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Did you get my message?? :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    My sentiments as well Julie. :)

BTW, you're certainly among the top of the heap of great cookin' eggers.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    You've got that right! B)
  • Mainegg
    so is that THREE spit balls???? shoot I better duck!
  • Mainegg
    mmm I am a simple cook. comfort food and whats on hand. love to improvise. but that is what is so cool on here even the new eggers are applauded for their efforts and helped. and they need to understand also that people like Little chef, Stike and others it is not about showing off or one up manship. maybe showing off a little as we all strive to achieve the perfect cook or a dish that challenges us. so we want to share it.and that in turn challenges the next one. we all urge each other on and push to be better eggers
  • Well said, and I agree that it is you that puts a ton of great recipes out there, and marvelous looking cooks. You Go, Girl!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    I agree Julie, my egret's ham was fantastic !!! The neighors agree also. Is your website down ? cin't seem to get on.
    Edna
  • Mainegg
    yes Edna since Thursday we are part of the Amazon cloud mess. tonight I hope to be back up. they have recovered about everything and so far we have fingers crossed that our site is good to go. thought all was lost for a day or two there... had a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach :pinch:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Well said Julie. What ever level of cook each of us are it is wonderful to be able to showcase our efforts without fear of of put downs and to be able to offer help in the areas where we are knowledgeable :cheer: :cheer:
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Couldn't agree more Julie! Yesterday when I put the plate of ABT's down, they were gone quickly. Then your roasted tomato dip was the next to disappear and I was asked, "where do you get your recipes?". I said, "the Egghead board, where else?". I am always so inspired by everyone's creativity.
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    I totally agree ;). The egg has turned into my passion/hobby. A perfect hobby (in my wifes opinion)for me that she reaps the benefits from every night. The forum is something I look forward to reading every day.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Mainegg, Got to love the forum. I would truly miss this place if something would happen to it. Actually I go into withdrawals when ever the forum goes down for some reason. I think we should get an email from the admin when ever something happens. I have learned so much and I have so much to learn. ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Sure she is! :laugh: :woohoo: :ermm: :evil:

Picture1036.jpg

Sorry Julie . . . my evil twin has control right now.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Nicely stated Julie!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Very well put. Thank You ;)
  • I agree totally. This forum is the reason my first cook (carwashmikes ribs) came out so good. The reason my second cook, (spatchcock chicken) came off without a hitch. The passion level is unbelievable. This is the best purchase we have made in years. :)
    We bought a $400 gas grill about 3 years ago because of a few dishes my wife likes to do, I have never been a fan of gas to say the least. Anyway long story short, in 2 weeks I have used the egg more in 2 weeks then I used the gas grill in 3 years......FYI, I have done many burgers on the egg, just don't consider them cooks since they are so quick and easy on the egg! ;)
    Recipes, tips, support...yep "This forum is amazing!"
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    It does get a little repetitive sometimes saying "yum" or "nice job". I do agree with that. I'm one of those people 100%. Not trying to get my thread count up. I actually wish we had the option to disable our thread count. I'm no better cook than a person who has 5 posts. I write more for the person who takes time out of their busy day and loads pics and writes a post for our entertainment. I love it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    IBID to what everyone has written. This forum is just plain fun and you always learn something new too ;):lol: :silly: !!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I learn a lot from this Forum. Yes, I do ask the occasional stupid question but how else am I going to learn. I am amazed at how a lot of Eggers come up with wonderful ideas for foods that goes on the EGG. Many times it is simple and at the same time it works. It opens up my mind to new things to make whether it be on the EGG or in the oven. If anything, it makes me look forward to the next cook, as if it were my first.

Gary
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Julie, couldn't agree more! I never really cooked three years ago, but now thanks to this forum I can cook basic stuff even with stove/oven and look at food with a whole new perspective.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Food Channel my Butt. Thay can't do what we do. Eggers food is Sooooo much better than Bobby Flay cookin on a gasser. At least Jack Mc David cooked on a webber. Remember a Gasser could get you a trip to Augusta Burn Center, then there's that long rehab. Julie YOU RULE. Now on toward the next adoption, seek and you shall find. lol Milesofsmiles upon y'all.
  • Mainegg
    oh that is just CRUEL!!! :laugh: If I remember correctly that was when my grandson was born almost two years ago!!! :kiss: I went in to see pics my son had just emailed to me and kind of lost track of time :blush: ha ha those minis are lethal!!
  • Mainegg
    I agree about the food channel Miles LOL but so many think "oh I cant do that"
  • Mainegg
    NO stupid questions Gary! if you don't know and mess up because you didn't ask then that is just sad :)I know I have to do it three or four times before it sticks in my head LOL thank goodness for the search feature on here.. some new eggers are lucky enugh to be buying an egg because they know someone with one and so they have some hands on help. but most of us started cold and not a clue... :lol:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    so thats why i didnt get a yummy post on my white sugar ribs :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: evry summer brings new eggheads, new types of cooks, different perspectives cooking, new recipes. always lots to learn here :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i honestly think that's what happens when you spend a grand on a grill. :laugh: you start thinking about what you are doing a bit more, for fear of having wasted the cash.

sure the bge has a lot of advantages over a lot of other backyard cookers, but for me it was more a case of growing up a little and opening my eyes (with regard to food, anyway). i had a buddy that would talk about food from his grill and it wasn't even having to taste it that hooked me. it was more that, wait a second, there's a few different ways to cook a steak? really? and then discovering you have been missing out.

i got the BGE on his recommendation, but it was the forum, and reading posts, that made me realize 1.) you can slow down for a second and actually consider how to make your simple grilled chicken (or a hot dog, or beef wellington, eventually) ten times better than you have ever had before and 2.) anyone can do this.

we all have our successes and failures, and i think anyone new to the forum should know that. i'm fond of the conveyor belt idea in many things... but it holds true. a newbie here shouldn't feel intimidated, because we were all newbies, and we are just maybe further along on the conveyor belt. give it a year, and a newbie will be a pro, and other newbies will be asking "how'd you do that?"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • YES YES YES...You have expressed my thoughts. (Better than I could)
    Thank You