Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Standing Rib Roast

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my neighbors works for a liquor distributor, and he supplies me with wood chips.

Look what was outside my back door on Easter morning, just in time for the Prime rib cook.
9 bags, that oughta last a while:

P4250187.jpg

A 7.5 lb. rib roast, slathered with a paste of garlic, rosemary, EVOO, S & P:

P4240171.jpg

I made Mainegg's roasted tomato dip, and we shared this out on the balcony, while the rib roast was on the egg:

P4240173.jpg

My friend came over and brought us some Argentinian sparkling wine, so we had that along with the rest of the dip:

P4240175.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the roast on the egg!! I guess it happens sometimes, maybe it was the wine!

Anyway, egged it at 325 dome for 2 1/4 hours. I cooked it to medium because that was the consensus.

It was a beauty:

P4240176.jpg

I used Mainegg's horseradish sauce - sour cream, horseradish, dijon mustard, little mayo, S & P, scallion tops. Really great with the meat; Served with roasted potatoes.
The rolls are for the teenager~

P4240177.jpg

Plated, at least I didn't forget to take that pic!

P4240179.jpg

Now the exciting part, the disinterested teenager got to use the culinary torch on the creme brulee. Yes, he liked dessert (hard to believe).

P4240180.jpg

Served with some fruit:

P4240181.jpg

And also served with homemade Mint Julep Ice Cream!! (the teenager liked this too!)~ I am making this again!

P4250186.jpg

This was the day we had yesterday while I was out lighting the egg. Summer weather pattern is here, we had a big thunderstorm when I got done egging.

P4250189.jpg

But maybe the best part of all, the leftovers for lunch today, served on a rosemary Ciabatta roll with the horseradish sauce. YUM.

P4250180.jpg

I hope everyone had a nice Easter.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    wow!.......it does not get any better than that!.... thanks for the inspiration! rr
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Faith..Incredible! That's just the way I like to do my rib roasts.And your creme brulee.Yum.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Looks deeelicious....Happy Easter...belated. :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Faith,

That looks perfect! I did one on Saturday myself. I actually went a little "too medium". My I ask what temperature you pulled yours off and how long you let it rest? I really like the color on that one!

It still turned out quite edible, and I must say I love the prime rib sandwich! All the kids (6 or so running around) made prime rib and mashed tater sliders and loved them. I have to admit I had one for desert myself!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Not a thing I would turn down on that plate! looks awesome Faith :)and your view sure beets mine.. can you say dreary!!
  • Thank you, Kim. Same to you and Ginny!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Smokeypitt, I like medium rare, but in this instance I pulled it at 132-134, and rested about 20 minutes. It was still nice and pink, texture was perfect.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Beautiful pics Faith! Great looking roast and a beautiful table. Looks like a wonderful day.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Those are some beautiful cook photos. I can only imagine the thrill at handing the torch to a teenager caused.Thanks for sharing, Randy
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Faith that is one of the best looking prime cooks that has been posted.

The rest of the meal looks great too. Thanks for posting.

I'm jealous of the doc picture... looks like a bit of snow tonight according to the weather guessers.

Kent
  • Thank you, Teresa. It was a fun, low-key day.

• bees, ahh, the thrill of fire! Actually, the teenager was not all that impressed with the torch. He would have preferred something more powerful, I'm sure!

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Faith, that looks awsome ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Another one hit out of the park Faith! Everything looks perfect, I wish I had some family that could cool like that! :laugh:

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Faith, you always have such wonderful looking cooks. Wish I lived closer - I would crash your parties. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Faith:

Beautiful looking hunk of cow and potatoes (you can keep the green stuff along with those tomatoes :laugh: ).

Certainly better that what we had yesterday...went to my son's in-laws and had a somewhat dry HoneyBaked ham, plus asparagusa and some potato thing...I was nice and ate the ham & potatoes, but really wanted to be home cooking something else! Ah, the joys of pleasing your children :ermm: :whistle:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow Faith, You had some scrumptious deserts with your nice roast. :P

Your folks look so happy sitting there and eating some tomato dip. :)

Your table settings look very nice.

I'll have to try Mainegg's roasted tomato dip and I never had creme brulee. One of these days. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    A MAY ZING! Looks delishious. :)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    You're a real cooking machine, gal!! :laugh: Looks awesome! Your mom looks like she was having a good time........ :lol: I'm interested in that ice cream recipe. Would you send it to me when you get time??
  • Kent, Thank you for the nice words. Ha, we could change places right about now! 90 again today and just had the big afternoon thunderstorm, again.

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    and the peanut butter egg?... :whistle::whistle::whistle: Very Nice cook Faith...Thx, now I am hungry... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Blair, find you way over here, and I will cook it for you!

• Egret, what size is your ice cream machine? I had to cut the recipe to fit mine, and I can adjust it to your machine. Guess you already know the special ingredients in the Mint Julep ice cream, BOURBON and MINT!

• Bubba Tim, everyone knows that peanut butter eggs and sparkling wine pair well together! You would be surprised how many of the eggs got eaten in addition to 2 sweet desserts.

• Carolina Q, you wouldnt have to crash cause you would be invited!

• Sorry about that, Jay. I never heard about dried out Honey Baked before. I know you will make up for the missed egging sometime this week.

BTW, the culinary torch would work well for your rum soaked sugar cubes. I got it at Rolling Pin.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well in that case, maybe I'll move. Do you have bugs? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    What a fantastic meal!!! I have to look for that dip.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That, my friend, is one great looking meal. I love how well you dress the table also. Mind telling be what brand of ciabatta bread that is? Thanks for the post!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE