Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first successful Brisket "Untrimmed" is Key!

Options
BBQR
BBQR Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG00373-20110423-0509.jpg

Seasoned up the 8.5 Lbs untrimmed Brisket Friday night around 11:00 PM with mustard and Montreal Steak seasoning and started the grill. Woke up at 5:00AM to throw the meat on the egg.

IMG00377-20110423-1758.jpg

I tiled the shower stall all day while the Brisket cooked all day in the rain. :whistle:

IMG00374-20110423-0907.jpg

This overflowing gutter right outside the doorway to the Egg, made the grilling more of an adventure then I expected! :silly:

IMG00375-20110423-1155.jpg

Kept the grill down around 210 degrees at the dome til about noon when this photo was taken, then started to push up the temp slowly towards 300 dome. At about 170 internal I foiled the meat with beef broth. I tried the straight unwrapped cook once before with just a flat and it came out like a shoe heel, so I was going to make sure this was moist.

IMG00379-20110423-1926.jpg

Final product after cooking to 195 and resting for about 45 minutes. Having all that extra juice in the foil is a nice touch on the meat! :woohoo:

IMG00380-20110423-1926.jpg

Flat separated from the point and I was pleased with the moisture of the meat.

IMG00383-20110423-1931.jpg

Sliced like butter and very moist

IMG00381-20110423-1931.jpg

I was going to make burnt-ends with the point, but the meat was so tender and juicy, it drew me in like a Siren from the Illiad. I sliced it and served a combo of flat and point.

IMG00384-20110423-1949.jpg

This was seconds! I thought the 8 Lbs Brisket Brisket would be alot of food, but I would estimate it could serve 4 to 5 hungry adult men or women.

Comments

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    That sure looks juicy... It looks like you are one of those folks that is tired of the rain as well. I think I need a boat around these parts.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    That really looks nice and tender. Good job! :)
  • BBQR
    Options
    one correction. That's just the Point sitting in the foil. The flat was on the cutting board.

Next time I'd like to try the untrimmed brisket without the foil wrap, but this meat cost like $70 I think at Whole Foods, so I didn't want to F$^& it up.

Need to find a cheaper place to get these.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Wow. Looks delicious.

What was the starting weight? Approximate cook time?

Thanks,
    Ted
  • BBQR
    Options
    8.5 lbs and took 14 hours. Started very low at about 210 dome temp and then started to raise it towards 275 after about 7 hours.

Wrapped it in foils with some liquid beef broth at about 170 and pulled it off the grill at 195.

From a probing for doneness, it felt good at 185, but at that point I figured I'd keep in on to 195.

Handful of hickory for flavor at the beginning.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Very nice! I will try my second one (5lbs) this weekend. First was good.

Thank you for the photos and detailed explanation. I will reference it this weekend.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    nice looking dinner :) have done only two briskets myself... the first one ended up in the crock pot the next day and still needed all day to cut :blink: the second one I nailed it! (so the eaters told me) do not dare try again LOL
  • Screamin' Eagle
    Options
    I have done a couple of briskets, some very good some OK, I like doing them direct heat better than indirect, looked like meateor that had fallen from the sky (pun intended) but it was much better and more tender. The indirect was tough and didn't have the nice crisp outside. My BBQ Guru is getting old been through many many cooks in freezing weather, it tends to not control temps like it used to. New one just shipped, when it arrives I will do another brisket. They are SOOOOO expensive! makes it an expensive mistake when they don't turn out.

I live near the Dizzy Pig guys wharehouse and they are having a brisket school on an upcoming Saturday, I will be there!
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    Great looking meal. Bet it was great