Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Get the Egg INTO the Table?

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Lrg Egg is in the good-ol' store-bought Egg Nest as my local climate and patio setup really make it necessary to be able to move around quite a bit...BUT...I need to enhance my lighting (as all of us do now that certain recent pix on the forum have challenged our very man- and woman- hoods). And if I'm going to enhance my lighting (i.e I thinking Field of Dreams), I'm going to look seriously at retiring my nest and build a table. But how do you folks get those eggs into those wood tables without jeopordizing your ability to procreate more of your genetic offspring? I'm pretty sure we are done procreating in my household, but I'm worried it still might hurt...if you know what I mean...Ah, another WDAN rant.

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    WDAN,
    a 3 buddy system works good but the very best way is the method Naked Whiz uses, ask him to post his picture of moving the egg.

• Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    WDAN,
    I planned ahead. When I built my table,I put it all together, cut the opening for the egg. then removed the side and 1/2 the table top Top was made from individual boards). I then blocked up the egg a lttle at a time until it was high enough, had my daughter help slide it into position, the reassembled the top and side.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I found it to be easier than I expected.[p]Disassembly the egg makes it fairly easy for one person to lift and insert the bottom of the egg into the table.[p]Toy Man
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    WDAN,
    you can put a block/blocks/bags of ice under the opening and place the egg on top of the of the ice... as it melts... the egg will be gently lowered into place..this how they lowered railroad steam locomotives onto the wheel trucks in the old days ... before the advent of powerful cranes...

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    WDAN,
    if it's just you putting it into your table, I suggest putting it in a piece at a time, assembling the band & dome once the base is set. Joe

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    WDAN,[p]In order to get my dad's Large into his table, we took all of the internal ceramics out, then I reached through the inside and grabbed through the lower vent hole while my dad bear-hugged it from the outside, and we sort of bull-rigged it into place. Probably not the safest method, especially since my dad has a bad back - but it worked. You'd be surprised how much lighter the Egg is without the internals.[p]Good luck, and don't kill yourself (get some help!),[p]TRex
  • tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    Options
    WDAN,
    I say ask a neighbor to help and then cook him a TREX steak for the efforts, the only drawback is he will be calling everyday wondering if you need help...."Howdy neighbor"

• Fisheyes
    Fisheyes Posts: 40
    Options
    TRex,
    I've removed and replaced my Egg in my table twice now. Both times, I did it by myself. I removed all of the internal stuff (fire ring, etc.) Then, I opened the top, opened the bottom vent, and reached down inside and gripped the egg from inside the bottom vent. I stuck my head inside the top and grabbed the back of the egg under the hinge. I used proper lifting technique (legs, not back) and then lifted from ground to table in one move.[p]The first time was easy because I over estimated the weight of the egg. The second time, I under estimated and I was pretty sore for the next couple of days.[p]The only reason I did this is because I am impatient and I didn't have any help around. Next time, I will use the same method, but get a friend to support the egg from the outside.[p]By the way, I'm in Brazil on business right now. I hoping to learn some new cooking techniques to bring home and try on the egg. The meat here is amazing![p]Brad

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    WDAN, Get a friend, gut it, move it. No problem.
    You get the best control by grabbing it from the inside of the bottom half at the vent opening.

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    WDAN,
    I always remind myself to lift with my back and not my legs, which explains the hunch.[p]Mine went in unassembled which made it slightly doable. I can't dwell on it much though as it causes my back to spasm.[p]RE

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    randomegger,[p]I agree about taking the innerds out and team lifting it in, then putting the guts back in. That inside stuff weighs about 50 pounds I'm guessing, which is more of it than you'd think when lifting with your back....[p]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Fisheyes,[p]Glad to hear you didn't injure your back permanently :-)[p]Hey, take good notes while you're in Brazil. If Fogo is any indication, they know a thing or two about cooking meat.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    WDAN,[p]If you are gonna build the table yourself, you might consider sliding the egg in instead. I checked the whiz's site but there's only table that shows that style. Just happens to be mine.

[ul][li]eggor's table[/ul]
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    WDAN,
    years ago my neighbor used the ice block technique that i mentioned to lower a hottub into a deck that was already built....it took him some convincing that it would work....thought maybe some ne could use the idea...the easiest way is to get a strong neighbor to manually lift it in... without the guts or lid.... it's not that heavy... put a couple of pillows down first in case it slips... lol

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    eggor,
    Your advice is a classic and sholuld work. But with my luck, I have an inkling I would be another Bob Newhart...Build the bird house in my den, but it's too big move through the door...lol