Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki Tangerine Flank Steaks

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I needed a break from my usual diet of chicken and Boca Burgers and found some flank steaks at Sam's that were priced right. Yesterday I made up an experimental marinade of . . .

1/2 C Teriyaki Sauce
3/4 C Mirin
3/8 C Rice Vinegar
Juice of 3 Tangerines
Zest of 2 Tangerines
1 T grated fresh Ginger
1 T Texas Pete Garlic Hot Sauce
2 T Honey
1/2 t Dry Mustard
1/2 t Nutmeg
1/2 t granulated Garlic
1/4 t Black Pepper

Boiled briefly to work the flavors

. . . and marinated the flank steaks till this evening when I was ready to cook them. The egg was set with the CI grate low and dome was about 500º.
DSCN7995A_640.jpg

Side two . . .
DSCN7996A_640.jpg

DSCN8003A_640.jpg

I have not used my CI grate in a long time and had forgotten just how efficient it is, the steaks were closer to medium then I normally like but at least they were not burnt. The char gave them great flavor and the marinade was a success. The dominant flavor from the marinade is the tangerines. I would have thought the teriyaki would have been stronger then it was. The tangerine flavor is not to bitter from all the zest nor is it to sweet but is quit pleasant with the steaky char going on with the meat. A tiny touch of salt at the table really rounded all the flavors together. :)

Happy Easter All,

Blair

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Nice cook Blair!

If'n your arm gets tired slicing all dat flank, I'll send ya my addy! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That sounds like a really good combo. Might have to steal it. Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Blair, They look really good! Nice job. I bet the change of flavor was a real treat. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait

Thanks for the offer loco-engr, I may have over cooked things a little but my knife was sharp and the steaks pretty tender and tasty. :lol:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks WeberWho, I think it is a rather unique experiment, you don't often get fruit paired with beef like this. I think this marinade would go well with other meats as well and is worthy of further experiments. I think shrimp, chicken or pork would go well with it or a variation of it.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Molly, the change from "the diet" was great and didn't add any carbohydrates or fat. The flank steaks were nice and lean and have good flavor, I should buy them more often.

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Happy Easter Blair. I think your cook is a winner. I love the sear you put on them. Sounds delicious. :P
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Tim, Happy Easter to you as well. This was a pretty good experiment but your standing rib roast was the the bomb! :cheer:

Blair

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Looks fantastic Blair, always nice to experiment new ways. Love tangerine
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Beli, I never know how my experiments are going to come out, I guess that is the fun of them. The tangerines have been sweet and just bursting with flavor, 3 for a $1 is a bargain and makes them great for experimenting with. :)

Blair

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Blair they look fantastic, lots of robust flavors there. I personialy love flank steak, I remember when I was a kid Flank steak use to be called Poor Man's Steak. Now as you can see the price is not poor mans no more. Good Eats bud. ;)
  • Hi, blair. Steak looks great. I like your marinade.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    I'm saving this post for a future cook. Thanks Mr. Bait ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Awe shucks! Go on. :silly:
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Nice looking steak. I bet the tangerine was a nice addition to the teriyaki sauce. mmmm.... steak! :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Mike, when I was a kid we used to keep about a dozen Black Angus and we never heard of or saw a flank steak. I think they probably went into the hamburger. Thankfully these are still cheaper then a rib eye or strip steak and have great flavor and are just as tender as some of the expensive steaks. They are also wonderfully lean so no bones or excess fat to pay for. I put on 50# when I quit smoking and my Dr. is threatening to put me on insulin which will add another 15# or so. I am having to get real tough with my diet and these are a good addition. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Faith, I am thinking the marinade would go with most anything, chicken, seafood, pork . . . it would probably make a fair salad dressing! :laugh:

I think if you wanted less salt and more tangerine flavor the teriyaki sauce could easily be omitted. Another thought was that the hot sauce I used has added vinegar and could be replaced with a habanero pepper for heat. I have never used a habanero before so that could get real interesting! You always hear how fruity they are. Maybe half of one diced fine. I can't take a lot of heat but like a bit. I had never used Mirin before and really like it, a lot sweeter then I expected. I have also wondered about substituting the tangerines with lemons or limes and adjust the sweetness accordingly, it might be interesting for chicken or seafood. Just a thought.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Your welcome Mr. 2Fategghead, read my reply to Faith, I add a few thoughts. It's an experiment so have fun and play with it. ;)

Gator

• You could use some light soy sauce with less salt in place of the teriyaki. I think for red meat, you need the soy or teriyaki.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait

Thanks CC, The teriyaki is powerful stuff and I didn't want it overpowering everything else. The amount of salt in it could also be to much for the tangerines I think. As my recipe is written the teriyaki flavor is set well to the background and the tangerines are dominant and are not candy sweet nor pucker sour. The steaks sliced across the grain would have gone well with couscous or a rice pilaf and a simple salad nicely I think. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

I think you are spot on Faith, the red meat needs a little something that other meats would not. I toyed with the thought of Hoisin sauce instead and that may be another experiment. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    Thank you Blair I'll read it over. ;)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    The meat looks delicious. How long before the flip?Randy
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Nice combination of flavors Gator! Nice and creative, and love that char! Nice!
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Randy, I was giving these about 2.5 minutes a side. Two minutes would have probably been better, my egg and the cast iron grate were really hot. I have not used the cast iron grate in a long time and it holds a lot of heat that the ceramic grate doesn't and cooks faster. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks LC, the char is good, I don't usually char my steaks that much but I like to. I think they say the char is what's bad for you when you grill meats and with the frequency I grill meats I often cook at a lower temp to cut down on it. The marinade has a nice tropical flavor, the tangerines really come through.

Blair

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Blair, the flank steak looks yummy. I love it with a bit of char! :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Rebecca, I had leftovers for dinner tonight and it was very tasty!

Blair