Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximum spare-ribs?

Options
greggsegg
greggsegg Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was volunteered to cook spare ribs for a couple days at a church function! Seen pics of multiple baby backs but was curious if anyone has loaded up large-egg with spare ribs! I've gotta and am gonna cook 30 lbs Friday and Saturday! Will I have any trouble? Any secrets? Thanx I will check back tomorrow!! good cookin,gregg

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    GreggsEgg,
    My suggestion would be to smoke them for a few hours on the egg then wrap in foil and finish in the oven, load new ribs into egg and repeat.[p]I don't think your egg is gonna hold 30# of ribs effectively. I know I have seen quite a few racks in the egg at one time ... heck one was so crammed full I don't think the egg could breath. But I would employ your oven and a good cooler to keep things warm.[p]My 2 cents.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    GreggsEgg,
    I did 15 racks of babby backs in two shifts for a Saturday afternoon party - 8 racks first and 7 racks second. No difference for you except you are doing spares. [p]Here is what I did: Friday AM lit the egg & smoked (indirect cook) the first 8 racks for 5 hours and put into a deep pan & wrapped in foil. Friday afternoon smoked the second 7 racks for 5 hours, added them to the pan with the other ribs & covered with foil. Had to run a few erands and go out to dinner. I kept the egg running low the entire time while I was out & about. When I got back around 10:30 PM I removed the plate setter, added some lump and cranked it up to 450* and charred (for texture) all 15 racks for about 5-7 minutes per side with the dome open - placing 3 racks at a time on the cooking grid, wrapping them in heavy foil after they were charred and putting them in a cooler with towels. Kept them there overnight and around 8 am on Saturday I put them in a 200* pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes. They were still very warm from the night before. After about 30 minutes I began taking out a rack at a time cutting the ribs into two or three rib pieces and individually wrapping them in foil, put them into a cooler with heated fire bricks and some moist tewels which lined the bottom and they stayed hot for about 4-5 hours. Their texture were great, they were moist and they came away from the bone with a little tug. I'm not a fan of the fall off the bone rib so it was what I was looking for. I was very satidfied with them considering I had to hold them for a long time. Those who ate them asked when I was going to open up a restaurant.[p]I think by putting them in the deep pan with foil I accomplished a similar effect of wrapping them in foil and keeping them on the egg for an hour - steaming them. [p]Some modifications you can do - after charred they can go into the fridge and you can heat in the oven longer to get them hot again. Not sure you need to cut into 2 to 3 rib sections, but for me I wanted keep them hot for a while because I knew they were not going on a buffet type line. I knew that people would be eating at different times so I needed to keep them hot for a while and I didn't want people handling them too much. That gave me the piece of mind that the first few ribs were as sanitary and the last few ribs.[p]HTH Joe

• greggsegg
    greggsegg Posts: 31
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Thanx for ideas, I'm sure it'll all come out great! I was just curious if anyone had maxed out with the spare ribs! Good Eggin, I'll let yall know if anyone wants me to open a restaraunt!

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    GreggsEgg,
    Good Luck! Let us know how they turn out. Joe