Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have gotten pretty decent at 20 hour pork butt cooks for pulled pork. This weekend however I would like to smoke a pork butt for sliced pork. I know some people cook these in about 6 hours. Anyone out here have suggestions on how to do a 6 hour pork butt for sliced pork? Time, temps etc? Thanks to all in advance.....
CP

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I have never done it myself, but my boss says he smokes pork butts on the BGE for around 6 hours at 300 degrees dome temp and they turn out just fine for slicing. Not so good for pulling.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]Sometimes I make chopped pork BBQ. Might work for sliced. I put a plain pork butt on at a dome temp of 350-400 for an hour or so, then let the temp settle down to 350, then 300 for a total of 5-6 hours for a 7-8 lb pork butt. Cook it until it's tender all the way through. Not pulled pork tender, roast pork tender. Chop and mix with vinegar-pepper sauce or your favorite sauce.
  • Central Pork
    Options
    KevinH & Yazoo,
    Thanks for the input. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.
    CP