Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Standing Rib Roast

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm real proud to say a huge success. Thanks to this forum and it's members. ;) We cooked it Mad Max style. Thanks Max. ;)

Cindy and I took advantage of the meat sale at Publix this past week. A small roast I know but, it was mighty tasty. :P

100_3449.jpg

100_3446.jpg

First I cut the bone almost off. Then we sprinkled dried rosemary and then three of Richards rubs. Indian River Rainbow Rub and Kona Koast Koffee Rub and Indian River Spice Blend. Then I tied the bone back on.

100_3483.jpg

At the same time Cindy got two baking potato's ready using evoo and kosher salt.

We had two recipe's for a dipping sauce so I asked Cindy to make 1/2 of each to try them out.

Mainegg told me about this one. Thanks Julie

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/horseradish_sauce/

I got this one from somewhere.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40421635/ns/today-foodwine/

I think both were great but, Cindy was parcel to the one from Jules. ;)

100_3485.jpg

The egg is heated to 500F with the plate setter and foil lined drip pan and the food grid. On the egg with the ET-73 food probe in place. As soon as I put it in and closed the dome I set the bottom vent to 325F.

100_3487.jpg

Part way through the cook.

100_3488.jpg

About the 90 min mark I checked the roast and decided to pull it for the rest.

100_3489.jpg

After a 20 min rest I brought the potato's in and fixed my plate. I uncovered the roast and checked the IT and it hadn't gone up unless I checked in a different place than the last time.

100_3491.jpg

I cut the strings and sliced a piece off the end for Cindy.

100_3493.jpg

100_3495.jpg

Here is a plate pic.

100_3496.jpg

Here is a dollop of the two different dipping sauces.

100_3497.jpg

This is the best beef cut. We will be doing this more often. Thanks for looking. :)

Comments