Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shanks for Easter

Options
jodyQ
jodyQ Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got 4 lamb shanks this morning and the butcher said I would love them. Get my lump from a local chef who has a pretty cool business. He has 10 XL Eggs and runs cooking classes. He gave me a marinade red wine, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, pepper and rosemary. Told me to smoke them around 225 and pull around 175 wrap them and let them rest. Said that large bone would bring the temp to around 190. I've never had them but he agreed with the butcher and said they would be excellent. I've had my Medium Egg since last May and through trial and error have become very confident and pretty decent with it (at least I think so) :) however I'm new to posting on the forum. Any feedback on the lamb shanks would be greatly appreciated. I also bought a 5# beef tenderloin which I'll do tomorrow also. So, even though it's Easter dinner if the shanks don't turn out as advertized I have a really good back up! Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    No input on cooking the shanks but would love to try them. Your description of the cook sounds great.
  • jodyQ
    Options
    Thanks Mark. I'll post how they turned out. Like I stated I'm new to the posting on here. I'll see if I can figure out posting pictures and get some up. I'm only a year into this wonderful Egg experience (coming from the ole Weber kettle made adapting to this F-1 car of a cooking tool pretty easy) Anyway, just trying to say I've had some really, really great cooks. And only a couple that went South on me. Heck, I'd post those shot also.....well on second thought!
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    We all have had cooks go south. Picture are pretty easy. I wish we had looked into posting them sooner. Nobody in the family likes lamb but me so shanks will go on the list for when everyone is away. :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    jodyQ: If you are having trouble getting them tender, you can always wrap in foil for the finish on the Egg. I am a big fan of braised shanks! Hope you enjoy the cook! And more importantly, welcome to the forum! You will learn a TON! :)
  • jodyQ
    Options
    Thanks Little Chef, I'm having a ball on the forum. So much information and an archive section that is just loaded info. Everybody on here seems really nice and helpful. I'm going to enjoy being a regular on here!