Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Chicken Roaster Newbie needs advice!

Options
PurpleEgg
PurpleEgg Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone!

We got our Egg a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! Today we want to do a chicken on the vertical roaster and I'm not really sure what to do other than put it on the roaster, in the drip pan. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Purple

Comments

• transversalInactive
    Options
    Welcome to Eggin, Purple. There are more recipes around for chicken on here than you can shake a stick at. I'll let the pros advise you accordingly, but look forward to reading your posts on how it came out. Have fun and Happy Easter!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If your stand will allow it try inverting the chicken. Do it on a raised grid with the drip pan.

DSC_0021.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PurpleEgg
    Options
    You put the drip pan on top of the plate setter, it looks like? About how long would a 5lb chicken take?
  • PurpleEgg
    Options
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Steve's method works really well. The idea is to get the thighs and legs to about 180 and the breast to 165. Roasting upside down accomplishs this easily.
    Chicken is hard to mess up, roasting the normal way will work also, just cook it a little longer. Chicken absorbs smoke readily, so strong woods like hickory and mesquite are not recommended unless you want a real smokey taste. Better to use a milder wood like cherry or pecan.
    When you have time go on the search forum and look up "spatchcock chicken." A lot of folks heve thrown away their verticle roasters [me inclued] and gone to this method :) :laugh:
    Hope this helps a little :)
    By the way, Welcome Aboard :cheer: :cheer:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I did that time but won't use the plateseter again. It would take as long as the oven would at a given temp, maybe a little faster but not much. Just make sure it's dry and seasoned before you put it on. The smaller the drip pan the better. A pie pan would work well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PurpleEgg
    Options
    Thanks so much! We have the medium size Egg and just use the round pan that we got with it, it's about 9 inches i think. I'm gonna go get it fired up and get started!
  • PurpleEgg
    Options
    Ok, I have half hickory and half apple wood chips soaking, but they're together, so i'll have to use them this time. I will keep that in mind though in the future. And will definitely check out the other method. Stocked up on whole chickens when Whole Foods had a sale, so i can try a few things!

Thanks for the welcome, i think i'm really going to like it here!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Follow Steven's advice and do but up chicken. Keeps the breast moist and both thighs and breast done at same time. A 5 lb hen should take about 11/2 at 350, but start checking temps at the hour mark. The drip pan on the placesetter will get the chicken high enough into the dome for an even cook.
    I just use lump when I do chicken and fortify the drip pan with white wine, onion, bay leaf and chicken stock or water. Another thing salt the skin at least 30 minutes before cooking. It draws moisture from the skin and helps to make the skin crispy. Right before cooking give her a good massage with your favorite spices.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would agree with Frank on the wood chips. If you are going to use them be sparing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Capt Frank
    Options
    I notice you said you had wood chips soaking. No need to do this with the egg, it will just slow you down. USE DRY CHIPS :):)
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    I notice you said you had wood chips soaking. No need to do this with the egg, it will just slow you down. USE DRY CHIPS :):)
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    Just did one tonight using the inverted method Steven describes, they are the best.
    DSC_5082.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Cook it horizontal, just as good and less stuff to clean. I tossed my vertical stands.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Here is some info that may be of help.

Vertical will allow more birds on the grid and other than that the taste and texture will come out the same as horizontal.

Cook the birds to 165° breast, legs & thighs. The temperature you cook at will determine how long. The flavor and goodness is determined by temperature (this is with all cooks).

Season the bird with what you like.

For a very moist cook cook the bird to 165° and for a nice deep bbq flavor, different texture cook the bird to 190°-200°.

I like cooking direct but a safe cook would be indirect. Use a drip pan if you don't want the drippings hitting the lump. I like the flavor so I always cook direct on a raised grid. Lump level anywhere from top of the holes in the fire box to top of the fire box or in between.

If you cook to the 165° the moisture in the breast will always look like this.
    chicken3.jpg

225° cook with extreme raised grid. 16.5" from top of lump to meat.
    chicken1.jpg

Direct raised grid, breast comes out like above.
    400°
    chick400.jpg

Direct raised grid, breast comes out like above. This will produce a darker (good) skin but moist meat.
    500°
    chick500.jpg

To be safe go indirect, about 350° dome and cook to temperature.

Here is a link to another great chicken cook. This really is fantastic.
    Chicken & Veggies

Post some pictures on your cook.

Welcome to the forum.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    As usual, GG is the man, do what he says! :P :cheer: