Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$200 beef tenderloin

Options
Tailgate
Tailgate Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was planning on a whole beef tenderloin for tomorrow.. you could have knocked me over with a feather when the butcher warned me it would cost about 200 bucks :unsure: I hadn't bought one in several years.. opted for filets instead.. even they were almost $28 a pound at HEB here in Waco..
Happy Easter everyone!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    U musta found the PRIME cow. :ohmy:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am afraid that's the way a lot of things are going to go. Beef and pork is getting pretty expensive. The butcher told us not to expect any relief for a while.

GG
  • jodyQ
    jodyQ Posts: 11
    Options
    $200.00! Seriously, what did it weigh? I bought a 5 pound one this morning from my butcher in Indianapolis, he had them on sale for 7.99, which seemed pretty reasonable. He always has excellent products so I'm sure it will be pretty good. Have you been to this butcher before? Was it Kobe or something exotic like that?
  • Tailgate
    Options
    wasn't Kobe or Wagu.. just the tenderloin used for filets.. butcher said it would be about 6lbs..I bought the single filets because we really weren't cooking for that many.. so we got out with about $50 worth of meat.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    it is scary!! I went to get walnuts tonight and they were $10 for a 1 pound bag!!!this was the store brand and just pieces not fancy half's or anything...
  • jodyQ
    jodyQ Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, that's just so hard to believe. I'm not all that strong at math but looks like 33.00 a pound to me. Man, I've never heard of such a thing. Are you in some really remote part of the country? I'm in Indiana, so it's pretty much in the middle of good agricultural area. With lots of organic meat producers. Most of the meat at my butcher is Indiana grown, or if not it comes from the Midwest. If this is going to be a constant let me know if I can help. I'd get ya a couple have them flash frozen and ship them to ya. I work for a company that makes dry ice and even with UPS next day charges it would probably come out to less than 10.00 a pound. Seriously, please let me know if I can help.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Tailgate, HEB sells WHOLE, untrimmed Prime tenderloins in the cryovac for way less than $28 per pound. If you don't know how to trim it, ask the butcher, they are usually friendly enough to show you how. Occasionally, they put them on sale too for something like 8.99/lb.

The REAL deal is a Choice one packed the same way...sometimes REALLY cheap, and I don't think many can tell the diff when it comes to Tenderloin.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I bet he won't sell many at that price. Costco choice was in line with $ at HEB. Randall's is having a pretty good sale on pork and selected bee cuts this week.
    Now is the time to stock up cause prices are going to go much higher. :( I am stocking up on lump too. ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Dollar vs any other currency... not a good bet these days..
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I brought a choice whole tenderloin at The Fresh Market 2 weeks ago for $9.99/lb. Now I'm thinking I should have bought a couple of extras...will do so the next time they have them on sale. I don't think they would sell very much at the price your butcher is charging - but you never know. I know I won't be able to afford it at that price! :laugh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That is not a normal price -- at least not in the North East. I am visiting my daughter, out on Long Island and saw some yesterday that were in the range of $62-77, depending on size. I do not remember the price per pound, but these were normal, full size tenderloins.
  • Tailgate
    Options
    sounds like I might need to sharpen my shopping skills and find a new meat source :laugh: there must be better deals out there..