Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table options for joint egg and propane grill

Options
apinion
apinion Posts: 470
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi, everyone. First time poster here. Truthfully, I don't even own an egg yet but will pull the trigger and get one after the vacation in June coming up.

My situation....I will be buying a large egg and still have my reasonably nice propane grill. I am pretty good with carpentry and will be building a table to insert both the propane grill and the large egg.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the dual grill method? Or do I even need a propane grill once I get the egg. The wife seems to think so, but really.....what do you guys think?
Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    I kept my large Weber gas grill. Have not used it once since getting the EGG. It is now used to store accessories for the EGG that I want to keep out of the rain. ;) You might want to cook on the EGG for a while before you build the table. You might end up building the table for 2 EGGs. :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    What Vert says! I have two very good gas grills, one, and old DuCane, I spent a couple of hundred bucks on all new guts for it just before I bought my first Egg. I still haven't used it and I now have four eggs! :ohmy: :laugh:
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Options
    I know this isn't what you are asking, but I'm about to build a table and I think I'm going to try and incorporate a propane burner somewhere.

Haven't decided if I'm going to mount in flush with the top or maybe make it hinged and mounted to the side of the table.
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Options
    I know this isn't what you are asking, but I'm about to build a table and I think I'm going to try and incorporate a propane burner somewhere.

Haven't decided if I'm going to mount in flush with the top or maybe make it hinged and mounted to the side of the table.
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    Haven't used my Weber since I got the large last September. In fact, I attempted to use it last week but there was no gas flow and yes there was propane in the tank. I trashed the grill and kept the metal cart and made a table for my mini.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I had thought about doing the same thing. Reason? my wife won't take the time to light the egg. Period. I work late a lot and she will sometimes use the gas grill to cook food for her and the kids. We like having that flexibility, so the gas grill stays.

My thought was to incorporate the gas grill to one side, similar with what we do when building a table for eggs. I'd like to integrate the grill with enough space beneath it for the tank. My only real concern was with the base of the grill. I'm positive it will get hotter than the base of the egg. You would need to leave enough room around the base for proper cooling and what not. The other items to consider are the burner controls and ignition mechanism. They need to be build in such a way that they can still operate properly. Ideally the design would allow for you to maintain the same spacing from the unit. This is important so you don't have to purchase / fiddle with new lines from the valves and burners. I think the start mechanism relies on a metal ground to get it to fire properly. You would need to incorporate the new table. This could be as simple as tapping that into the base of the que, no big deal.

The only other thought I had was, gas grills and their components wear out. Eggs don't. At some rate, with the gas grills, you need to be able to get into these components and service them. This needs to be thought about when building them into a table. If for some reason the grill body wears out, will my design be flexible enough to allow for a different body to be placed in the table? (Not a realistic worry, but something to consider depending on the age of your current grill.)

A lot of fiddly work and things to consider, but nothing insurmountable if you are serious about your outdoor area.

So that's kind of where I am at now. With all that in mind, I'm leaning toward not building the Weber into the egg station.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Ted
  • gstreez
    Options
    Ted,

My contractor is installing the countertop that the Egg will sit in tonight.  I will post pictures for how I handled it - a built-in 'cooking nook' on the edge of my patio.

I am keeping the Weber gas grill for the exact same reason, my wife cooks on it, but has NO interest in starting the Egg and using it.  She may change her mind, but we need to be a two-grill family until that happens.

I will post in the next day or two.