Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Rutland Gasket for Large BGE

geocomgeocom Posts: 5
edited 5:25PM in EggHead Forum
Just installed a new Rutland gasket on my Large BGE following the instructions by the "Naked Whiz". Boy, was this easier than I thought it would be. By using the extra tools (3M paint/varnish remover, pumice stone, and sabre saw blade) it made it simple. Anyone else who uses this method should have an easy time also. Particularly pay heed to marking both the Egg and gasket into 1/4ths made it easy to judge correct progress. My thanks to the "Naked Whiz".

Comments

• Did you remove the hinges and rings from the egg before cleaning the felt off and installing the Rutland? Or can it be done without removing the rings? I just received my order of Rutland from Ron.
  • EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    You need to take it out of the rings to get it done right.
  • geocomgeocom Posts: 5
    Did not have to remove top. Was able to use drill and paint remover, along with pumice stone with top still on.
  • Thanks, fellas......Not going to get into it today. That's gonna be a week day project. Weekends are for grillin........right?
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Those planning on doing this might want to check with BGE Service regarding warranty and proper gasket replacement when using, pumice stones, sanders, grinders, any power tools and solvents.

GG
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,141
    you certainly don't need to, Jack - I'm a firm believer if your bands are working and sitting properly why pick a fight? :laugh: Granted removing the dome makes it a bit easier, but as long as you can bend over and work in an occasional awkward position for a couple minutes you're fine.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL