Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

American (Craigslist) Pickin\'

FockerFocker Posts: 2,292
edited 11:12PM in EggHead Forum
Big fan of the show American Pickers. Antique Archeology is right across the Mississippi in Leclaire, IA.

Used Frankie's "bundle" approach. Went to check out the Griswold #8 waffle iron for $50. Guy said he had a dutch oven he was going to list soon and asked if I'd like to see it. Walked away with both for $70.

They shined up nicely, knocked off some surface rust with a slurry of Barkeeper's Friend.

The Griswold waffle iron fits great in the Large, standard setup. Might have to finally try some chicken and wafffles B)
Quad Cities
"We say grace, and we say ma'am.  If you ain't into that, we don't give a damn."  Bocephus

• Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Congratulations! Those are a great find. :)

I don't remember ever seeing a CI waffle iron like that before, that looks very interesting. It would be fun to see it in action sometime.

• FockerFocker Posts: 2,292
    Thanks Gator

I don't know a whole lot about them either. Patent date on the piece is Dec 1, 1908. I've seen both the high base(pictured) and low base styles on ebay. One would think the high base is better suited for the egg. I will post pics when I get around to it.
    Quad Cities
    "We say grace, and we say ma'am.  If you ain't into that, we don't give a damn."  Bocephus
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    great stuff .. i have a cast iron waffle iron that was from a coal or wood cook stove. i have been meaing to get it out and make chicken and waffles , you have motivated me to do so ,, thanks , i am anxious to see you post cook .
    thanks for posting
  • Funny... I was just thinking to myself this week... "I wonder if there is a way to make waffles on the egg?"
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    nice find. i've got a no.8 and no.10 frying pan. have you ever done cornbread in a cast iron skillet before. If so, should i use the plate setter?
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Good buys on your cast iron. And yes you can do waffles on the BGE. This was on the small. Mike

• RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511

That is as cool'a thing as I've seen on an egg. :)

no i want one :pinch:
  • Waffle poker :woohoo:
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Brownies :woohoo:
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    yes.use the platesetter.
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Adam, I collect old cast iron waffles irons (other cast iron cookware also) and have a large variety to choose from, this one seemed to fit the small perfectly. Mike
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    thanks for the advice.
  • In my opinion, cornbread *must* be done in cast iron.
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Those look very nice. Great find.

I was showing my wife this picture and she said "hey I got one of those".

If you look close you can see that the "dimples" are the suits from a deck of cards.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Very cool. I'm a big Griswold / Erie / Wagner CI fan.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    SWEET! :)