Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the highest temp u have ever gotten

Options
griff017
griff017 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am brand new to the EGG and just did my inaugural (sp?) cook on the egg tonight.

I made some pizza it was of course amazing even with that crappy Publix dough.

Soo, I filled her up with lump and opened all dampers all the way.

I came back in 40 minutes and saw that it was on 300ish degrees and thought that did not seem right.

I opened her up and of course got my first taste of backdraft and a melted gasket.

So anyways, if I can get up to 1000+? (all the way around 300) what temps can you reach when you are trying to get really high temps.

I really want to do this again but throw a steak on and aim a leafblower at the fire pit.

Will I crack the EGG, has anyone done this? What are some max temps people have hit?

-Ed

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fishlessman fires pizza at 1100 regularly

I've seen the thermometer at 100 and thought the fire was out, but it was on it's second way around like yours was

1000+ is possible

But unless
    You are doing neapolitan pizza, you are just showing off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    It's a grill..not a blast furnace...anything over 700° is just a waste of lump.....600 is about the extreme of my useful range..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I regularly cook pizza at 700ish, and haven't really gone much north of that.
    Congrats on trashing your gasket. I am 3+ years in, on original gssket. ;)
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    gaskets...overrated open her up and let her eat...no gasket on mine and still can smoke at 225-250 and make killer pizza at 700-900 degrees. I went through a felt an nomex gasket and realized you cant have a gasket problem if you don't have a gasket.. ;) one less thing to worry about
  • Eggbert 75
    Options
    Steaks i get up around 700ish for 8 mins (well depending on how you like it done)..... ;-)
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    1000???? Really??? I've never had a use for over 700, but I have only seen that temp a couple of times. I usually sear steaks at 600-650, which is my average high temp.

What the heck can you do at 1000? Melt steel?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Need to go to 2200 to melt steel :lol:

Been to 900+ a couple times on cleaning burns. Highest I have cooked at is +/- 650.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I've had it all the way around and reading over 300 one time - fresh load of charcoal (was out of lump) in a freshly cleaned BGE. Let it run wide open and got distracted for a bit. Came outside and saw a faint blue flame shooting about 2 feet out the top. Reminded me of an afterbuner.

How hot was it? No real idea.

Is that a useful temperature? Can't imagine for what.

Is my firebox cracked? You betcha! - but it still works flawlessly. Plan on replacing it this summer.

I don't intentionally take it over 700 or so. No need.
    South SLO County
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've had a medium Egg to slightly over 1200° as measured by a thermocouple inserted into the dome thermometer hole.

That's only the dome temperature. When the dome is at 700-800°, the grate temp is going to more like 1200&deg.

Of course, if you really want high temps, I've measured 2100+° down in the burning lump.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    ;) I must concur. :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Rosie O'Donnell, call your office!! :laugh:
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had some very juicy, tasty results with 1 1/2-2 inch steaks using thesystem, 650 degrees, vents open, 2 min on one side, flip, 2 more min, flip, close vents, roast for 3-4 min. Yum!

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon