Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork roast -- question about dome temp

buzzermaster
buzzermaster Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For Easter dinner I'm egging a bone-in center-cut pork roast, attempting to follow a recipe that was in the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated. The recipe says the grill temp should be 425 at the start. For an Egg that seems high; I'm sure they're talking about a Weber.

Other posts here seem to recommend a dome temperature of 350 (for slicing pork, not pulling), indirect, so I'll use my plate setter.

So, the question is what temp? Is there a benefit to doing it at 425 (like a better outer crust or something)?

And, what's the difference between 425 on a Weber and 425 on an Egg? My guess is the Weber temp degrades faster, where the Egg would maintain that temp longer and you'd end up with shoe leather. Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Bought a Kamado in SE Asia and now have 4 BGEs. Can't help on the Weber as I have never had one.
    This should help on the roast question.

Pork, Roast, Bone-In, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 1/2 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In
    Seasoning
    6-8 Tbs Minced Garlic
    6-8 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    TIME
    5:00 PM 48°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:15 PM 83°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:30 PM 99°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:00 PM 126°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:40 PM 140°F (int) 350°F Dome
    Rested 30-45 minutes

Preparation
    1 Have the butcher cut between the bones and remove the chine bone so that you can cut individual chops w/bone for serving. Placed seasonings between the bones and on the top, placed in refrigerator for 5 hours, overnight would have been ok. . Let sit about 1 hour out of the refrigerator, to warm up.
    Cooking
    1 Pecan wood chips for smoke about 1/2 handful, dry.
    2 Used my Large BGE and set it up for indirect, 350°F with a drip pan and some water under the roast. Placed the roast, bone side down, directly on top of the grate and cooked for apprx 2 hours and 30 minutes. The goal was 140°F internal. It will rise 5-7 degrees while resting. Pulled and let sit for 30-45 minutes.
    3 Served with steamed broccoli, corn on the cob, salad and rice and gravy.

Servings: 8
    Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 3 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/21
  • Thanks. I saw that recipe before I posted, which gave me the 350 thought. I've got a lot of great recipes from Cook's Illustrated, but now I'm running up against issues of converting recipes to the Egg, and I'm trying to learn that.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    425 is 425, weber, egg, or oven.

425 is fine. you can start it at that, put it in, and set vents for a lower temp like 350.

some like to think the heat at the beginning gives a good blast to the surface. some blast it at the end, and some not at all. all give a good crust
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Most foods can be cooked at a big variable in temperatures and end up with a great cook. The biggest issue is the done temperature and the temperature rise during the rest period. Cooking with hot temperatures will have a faster temperature increase during the rest.

I have cooked a butt (pulled) at 225° dome up through 400° dome and have had great results.

Chicken from 225° direct through 500° raised grid direct and again same very moist meat if I cook the birds to temperature.

If you want to try and match the cook as detailed in CI and happen to have a Spider do the initial cook on the inverted Spider then take the meat up to normal grid level.

You can accomplish the same thing by removing the fire ring and putting the grate on the top of the fire ring, do the initial cook, then put in the fire ring, grid and finish the cook. This process eliminates having to remove the meat while letting the egg to cool down.

GG
  • Thanks all, this is starting to make some sense. Maybe I start at 425 and lower the temp of the Egg to 350.

Which leads to the question: What's the best way to lower the temp of the dome? Do you close all the vents?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Mostly just time. Some folks will use a tray of ice but I am not sure how much good that will do.

I cook on dual level, closer to the lump for a high temp sear or a hotter initial cook then raise the grid and do the roasting part of the cook. I don't play with temperature of the egg.

Lowering the temp. of the egg can take a long time...

GG
  • I do'em at 250* dome........usually do a 10 lb. bone in loin.......usually takes no more than about 3-3 1/2 hours........cook to 140* internal.......rest for 30-40 mins............Killer.
  • Results pictured below. I rubbed it 24 hours ahead of time with 4 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp Danish Viking (smoked) salt, a bunch of fresh ground pepper and a bunch of garlic. Cooked it with a couple of hickory chunks at 350 till internal was 140, which took about 1.5 hours. Let it rest 30 minutes. The loin fell off the ribs, and I sliced that and served it with an orange&jalapeno salsa. Turned out very well, very moist. A keeper.

P1030631.jpg