Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging Lamb ..

Options
draiggoch
draiggoch Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been a BGE owner and user for 12 years .. happy owner for beef/Pork and veggies .. but I'm British, and love lamb, and never been really happy with my results .. does anyone have any good recipes/stories/tips/hints for how to either smoke or BBQ lamb with good results .. not chops .. legs, whole legs/ shoulders .. Thanks.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I only got my egg just before Christmas. I haven't cooked any large lamb pieces in it yet. Just some lamb sausage sunday. I do love lamb and will be interested in the replies. Have you tried tandoori style with a yogurt/curry spice marinade?
  • draiggoch
    Options
    Nope, I must admit I haven't .. dang, those sausages are good though .. but, there's a different technique one has to use with the egg, and I was just trawling the forum to see what successes, and variations of themes (I'm Welsh and used to meat and 2 veg) others had had .. thanks for the reply.
    B)
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Egging.
    Go to the recipe section and type 'lamb' and you will find several excellent recipes.

Again, welcome
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    BTW, until trying lamb off the Egg, I really didn't care much for it. Love it now, though.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I saw your post and got all excited thinking - have I've got some great pics for you. I searched my computer and photobucket and I'm sorry to say that I don't have any great pics for you. I'll have to rectify that this weekend.

My wife has a great recipe for a leg of lamb. (bone in or boneless - doesn't matter) season the lamb - she uses pressed garlic cloves, a little salt, a little fresh ground pepper, some fresh herbs (in particular rosemary). Make a couple pockets in the leg and insert some slivers of garlic to taste and place some sliced onions on top - I'm sure you could use whatever spices you feel most comfortable with.

She then pours olive oil over the prepared leg followed by a red wine until the entire leg is submerged. She places the leg in the fridge overnight (or until we're ready to cook) and then we place the leg on the egg.

We cook it like a regular roast, 350 degrees, legs up and a tray of the left over red wine marinade under the grill.

It always comes out beautiful. When you cut into it, there's a nice burgundy ring around the outside. (not a smoke ring - a wine ring).

I hope you get a chance to try and report back. If you don't I know we're going to make it on Sunday so I'll post some pics. (and hopefully pay enough attention to provide more details.)

Good luck!

Michael
  • draiggoch
    Options
    Thanks for your post .. though of the 15 "lamb" recipes, 6 are for lamb chops, which I'm good with .. 2 are for venison (who knows .. they probably had horns and were mistaken when shot) .. some kabobs .. i was thinking there had to be more out there for legs/shoulders of lamb ... but again, thanks for your post.
  • draiggoch
    Options
    That's what I'm talking about!! I'd never thought to cook lamb with onions .. why ever not? ( he says, smacking his forehead ) .. please post photos ..
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Ha Ha!

You did read the part about submerging in red wine - right.

Need I say more.

Michael
  • draiggoch
    Options
    Michael:

"Red wine"

any meal without wine is breakfast ...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Allo Taf

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1062719&catid=1

If you want to do shoulder or leg just do it low and slow.

Cheers

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I like to start lamb shanks on the Egg

17-10-10LambShanks1.jpg

and then finish by braising them.

17-10-10LambShanks2.jpg

17-10-10LambShanks3.jpg

17-10-10LambShanks4.jpg

I have never cooked leg of lamb, because my wife is not all that fond of it, but I cannot imagine it not being good wonderful.
  • draiggoch
    Options
    Yo little Steven:

Shanks are the way to go .. probably the best cut of the lamb for low and slow, so much flavor .. the best I ever had was in a small restaurant in Denver, Co, USA for lunch some years ago .. never thought to do them on the egg though .. (on the stove .. with leeks and/or canneloni beans. white wine, absolutely great) .. I'll experiment .. thanks ..
  • draiggoch
    Options
    BobS:

Dang buddy .. those photos had me drooling ..

What seasonings did you put on those puppies, if any ?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I smoked one a while ago. Just a little olive wood but didn't like it much. The smoke kind of overpowered the taste of the lamb. The Norwegians do a smoked lamb that is pretty good but I can't remember the name of it.

DSC_0127-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    At Eggtoberfest 2008 I cooked a Tandoori boneless leg of lamb that was very tasty. If you like Indian spices I could look this one up for you. It involved rubbing the leg with yogurt after applying a rub that had about every "C" spice you can think of: cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, cilantro, coriander, clove, etc. etc.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay just trolling through foodnetwork.com and I found one intended for the grill, yogurt-mint marinated leg of lamb.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/yogurt-mint-marinated-grilled-leg-of-lamb-recipe/index.html

Going back for a tandoori styled lamb shoulder.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay here is one by Guy Fiero meant for a grill

Lamb Shoulder Tandoori with Green Beans

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/grilled-tandoori-yogurt-marinated-lamb-shoulder-with-grilled-onions-and-green-beans-recipe/index.html

It does have ghee in it and I'll throw in how I make ghee.

Take one pound of unsalted butter, cultured if available. Place in a ceramic or glass casserole dish. Bake at 350F for one hour. Strain through a paper coffee filter into a glass container and discard the filter with the solid bits. After it cools to room temperature place a lid on it. The ghee can be stored in a dark cabinet without refrigeration if a perfectly clean and dry spoon is used to scoop out the ghee at every use. I use disposable plastic spoons.

Or just buy it in ethnic grocery stores. It is great for high temperature frying.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    draiggoch wrote:
    BobS:

Dang buddy .. those photos had me drooling ..

What seasonings did you put on those puppies, if any ?

I honestly do not recall. But it was probably just rubbed with some olive oil and lemon juice with salt and pepper.
  • Screamin' Eagle
    Options
    I go really simple, doing bone in leg this weekend, low and slow is for tough meats, lamb is tender. I do a hot cook at 375 to 400 indirect. Seasoning depends on my mood, sometimes DP rub, sometimes pocket garlic, sometimes I cut a grid pattern in the fat/skin and lay herbs in there. Easy baste is frozen orange juice concentrate (in the can) and frozen apple juice concentrate thawed and mixed no water added makes it stick, old recipe from the Galloping Gourmet.

here is a tip, I go to a Halal store and get fresh killed lamb instead of the frozen stuff from New Zealand. I will pick one up tonight that was killed yesterday morning.
  • draiggoch
    Options
    Thanks for the tip .. I live in North Florida and am fortunate to have access to a local farmer who sells fresh lamb and goat .. if you like curries goat is the way to go, never tried it on the Egg .. hmm, maybe a project for this weekend.

:cheer:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Screamin' Eagle,

I assume you haven't tried a tender cut low and slow? I have a beef rib roast on now at 230*. Low and slow leg of lamb is the bomb.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    draiggoch,

I've done quite a few curries on the egg and they are great. I agree with you about the goat but lamb and mutton are good too. I did lamb rogan gosht at a fest last year and it went over really well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    There is a lady farmer I know who sells goat at our weekly farmers market. Great stuff!