Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tale of Pizza

Options
CaptDave
CaptDave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Preheated Egg with Rack Extender and pizza stone in place to about 375-400 for a good 25 mins or so...

c5653492.jpg

Publix raw pizza dough allowed to proof for a couple of hours, shaped out to a rough round shape, and precooked for 3 mins on pizza stone, flipped it over and cooked another 2 mins before putting toppings on. Then took the partially cooked pizza dough off the grill to add our toppings. I used corn meal on the pizza stone to keep anything from sticking.

38ba1473.jpg

Then cooked for about 20 mins... and it's ready

090592de.jpg

This was the best pizza I have ever, ever, ever had!

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Nice job! I think it's time for me to break out the pizza stone again.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Just curious, why do you pre-bake the crust?
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Just curious, why do you pre-bake the crust?

My question as well.. I make pizza a lot and have never precooked a crust.... also 20 minutes seemed like a long time until I saw it was only 375°-400° I tend to bake my pizza at 550°+ for about 5 minutes

All-inall it Looks pretty good! Is that a BGE pizza stone?
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I pre-cook my pizza dough just so sets up a little. It's the best method that I have found. I like to use parachment paper with the dough on top and pre-cook it for 2 minutes. I then take it off of the egg and parchment paper, load it up with toppings and stick it back on the stone for about 8 minutes at around 550. It makes it not stick and allows me not to use corneal meal. There are a lot of methods but this is my preferred.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Nice looking pie!Did you make the rack extender? thanks for sharing,Randy
  • CaptDave
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I prebake the crust because it gives it the texture and crispness my wife likes... enough said.. LOL. Really, it makes alot of difference to me and really you should try it. I found the extender rack in a market and purchased it because it seemed to be well made, a few dollars less than the BGE one and it was available that day! The pizza stone is one we have had forever and never used it (well used it and liked it). This is the first time a pizza has been really good coming off that stone. I have read the post of exploding stones that were not BGE, and my thoughts are ... don't heat it up so much. 350-400 to me is just fine, and a little more smoky flavor finds it wany into the pie! So, thank you all so much for the replies... this BGE thing is really addicting! and..... my wife is happy...

Happy wife... happy life!!!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Capt,

If that's a pampered chef stone, it's days are numbered. :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Says you...mine is in the 4000 day range and still going.
  • CaptDave
    Options
    Ripnem, I think you are right about it being a pampered chef stone. Thing is, we didn't use it before, so if it does crack from use on the EGG, that will be ok other than the pie it takes with it. I will be mindful to keep my temps lower when it is in use and I'll keep everyone posted.
  • CaptDave
    Options
    Fidel,
    What temp range have you used your stone? I hope to get alot of use out of this one before it cracks.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    My experience totally agrees with Ripnem.

Every single pampered chef *stone I have ever purchased has cracked. I've put them in the oven, then turned the oven on to heat, they've never been oil/grease saturated, and 100% of the time they've cracked within a year.

Consider yourself the lucky one Fidel.

My next stone(s) will be one of these http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php if my BGE stone ever fails.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    So you got a bigger number than most. Just fire up the large and lets see what temp it fails on the 4001st day. :evil:
  • CaptDave
    Options
    Now on our pampered chef stone, we oiled it with olive oil and did some kind of cure bake, but its been so long ago I can't remember any details other than it made alot of smoke in the house even with the vent going. Should be interesting, but watch it fail me when I have guess over to eat! :ermm: