Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza, and an AMAZING Peel!! Thanks Misfit!

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been remiss in not posting this sooner, but Fest hosting recovery takes a while! :laugh: (forgive me Misfit! :blush: )

I was completely blessed at the Florida Fest with a hand delivered, and hand made custom Pizza Peel, made by our very own forum member, Misfit! Absolutely beautiful and incredible craftsmanship, this Tiger Maple peel is almost too beautiful to use! ("Almost" is the key word here! ;) ) So once recovering a bit, I had to put her to work!!

First...the gorgeous peel! Awesome lines in the wood, which was obviously carefully selected!
DSC02919.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02921.jpg
Is this gorgeous, or what??? :laugh:

So not wanting to keep a Ship in the Harbor, when she should be to sail...I put her to work!

DSC00237.jpg
First a pepperoni and onion...onto the 550* egg she goes!

DSC00238.jpg
Nice crust...(and couldn't bear the thought of cutting on the beautiful peel...this is my cheapo mass produced store bought.. :blush: )

DSC00244.jpg
She's broken in now... :)

Next, the traditional (and my fave) Margherita Pizza...
DSC00242.jpg

DSC00243.jpg
Getting happy on the Egg! Tomatoes were from the garden, so some Roma, Some Beefsteak...(that's why the difference in sizes!) ;)

All done...
DSC00245.jpg
Topped with Fresh Basil from the garden, too!

DSC00246.jpg
Very happy with my crusts now for the last several attempts! Nice and thin, crisp with a 'pull'. (Again, after pic taken on the cheapo store bought peel...I just couldn't make myself mess up the pretty one!! :pinch: )

I am a convert from the Platesetter Legs down, feet, and pizza stone, to Bobby Q's suggested method of Platesetter legs UP, grid, then stone! Much more evenly heated stone, and great results every time! Thanks Bobby Q for that tip!

And truly, a very special "Thank You" to Misfit (Ed)!!!! Your peel is in good hands, it is very appreciated, and you do beautiful work!! She will be treated with respect, and properly cared for! ;) Thank you SO much!

For those of you who attended the Florida Fest, Misfits peel was on display near the Main stage. Hope you had an opportunity to see it! He is willing to take custom orders as well! From what I understand, he made two peels when he constructed mine, and the 'sister' is available! :laugh: I may snag it for family!

Thanks again Misfit! Hope I did her justice! :)

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yours is georgeous Michelle! I love mine too!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Molly! Couldn't be happier! He does some VERY fine work, for sure!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW LC! Great looking za's!
    Now is that left handed peel? :ohmy:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey LC what a great peel. Ed does great work. ;)

Your pies look great I love pepperoni. :P

Congrats on the new peel. ;)
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    I have tried the platesetter legs up, grid, then stone and had a burnt bottom crust on three out of three pies at 475 degrees. I have had great results with the original setup as you described, but I like the simplicity of the newer setup. I just have to try and try again.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Hmmm...Perplexed at burnt crusts at your chosen temp! Did you make the crust at home? Curious as to the sugar content in the crust. Our pizza stone was in the 530* range per infra red...burnt bottom was not an issue, and never has been. Something seems amiss in this equation. I have heard of some folks cooling the pizza stone a bit with a damp cloth. I just have never had the need. What did you use for crust?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I only use it left handed when I am not in the 'right' frame of mind! :laugh: Wise a$$... :laugh: And thanks, they were tasty Za's for sure.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words LC. Love some margherita, but waiting for good tomatoes up here. Going to have to try the platesetter legs up next time. Do enjoy it.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks 2Fat...They were tasty for sure, and Ed's peels are truly a piece of Art!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Wait a minute, I'm a lefty, so is Molly...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's right! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Misfit...I can't thank you enough! It is an absolutely beautiful peel!! Your craftsmanship is exceptional! I can only wish the best for you in this endeavor!!
    And believe me, I totally understand the tomato thing! My Mom was visiting from the North East, and she savored every bite of garden tomato she got while she was here! Those were also her first taste of Egg'd Za's...she loved them! :laugh:
    Thanks again! A work of art, truly! :)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Mighty Fine Peel & Mighty Fine Pizza's

Nice LC good eats. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    NOW I know why I had to keep flipping it over!! :laugh: :whistle: :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Pork Butt!! Was some mighty fine eats for sure, and can't be happier with my beautiful peel!! Finally getting close to the crusts I used to have in the North East!!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Wow!! Great looking peel
    Beautiful wood working
    Pies look fantastic :)

Shane
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Michelle, that is indeed a special gift from Misfit. :) It is a gorgeous peel!

I think you did Misfit and the peel proud with your beautiful pizzas.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow, now that is a beautiful pizza peel! Takes baking pizza up a couple of levels, the total experience is made more enjoyable I'm sure. And that's a beautiful pizza you baked LC! When the snow melts here I think I'll get back into pizza. :unsure:
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    That is truly a beautiful peel and a very tasty looking pizza.

I just started down the egged pizza path and seeing success like that makes me want to run faster.

Nice...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    WOW your pizza-s look great. do you make your own dough? if so could I get the recipe?

About how long do you cook them?

and on a large Egg ... aproximately how wide open are your vents to acheive 500?

I have struggled on the openings for higher temp cooks. :blush: I have my low and slow's but still trying to get more information so I can get some awesome cooks like the rest of you under my Shell! ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    DogFish: Thanks! There have been several dough recipes posted here over the years, so you can likely find additional dough recipes in the recipe section of this forum. I have kind of modified recipes supplied here by folks like AZRP, Zippylip, Fidel, etc...
    This time I used:
    1 c Bread flour
    1 1/2 t. instant yeast
    3/4 cup warm water
    Combined the above, and mixed on stand mixer on #4 until it all came together smooth. Then I walked away for an hour, and let the yeast do it's thing.
    Then add:
    3 c Bread flour
    1 T kosher salt
    2 T sugar
    2 T good virgin olive oil
    3/4 cup water
    (t=teaspoon, T=Tablespoon)
    Mixed on stand mixer on #2 with dough hook until it pulled from the sides of the mixer bowl, then allowed it to continue mixing/kneading about 8 minutes. You may have to add a bit more flour, or a bit more water, depending on humidity, etc...You want to dough tacky, but not sticking to your fingers.
    This is enough for 3 14" (large egg pizza stone) pies.
    Divide the dough in thirds, roll each into a ball, coat with a bit of EVOO, Cover with saran, and put it in your oven with the light on for at least an hour to proof. 2 or 3 hours is even better.
    This dough should be relaxed enough that you can easily shape it by simply stretching with your hands on a floured surface.

As for the vents, bottom open about 1.5 inches, top open an inch, give or take. Put the platesetter and pizza stone in as soon as you have your fire lit, and allow them to come up to temp with the Egg. (It can sometimes take 45 min-1 hour for this). You also want a full load of lump. These took about 9 minutes. Jump on in! The water is fine! :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Clay...Snow? :blink: I will send warm thoughts your way from the pool. :laugh: At least you got a break from it for the Fest. ;)
    I was really hoping you had seen the peel at the Fest, but it got pretty hectic for me, especially toward the end of the day! I know you would appreciate the workmanship.