Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner

tpc1
tpc1 Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a Xl Egg. I will pick it up on saturday. This site is what made my mind up, great info and lots of knowledge. Thanks for providing me with great late night reading. Now i just have to decide what to cook first. Im thinking a roast for easter. Am i trying for to much for my first cook? Thanks

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    What kind of roast?
  • tpc1
    Not sure i usually do prime rib for easter. But open to suggestions. Thanks for the help
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    tpc1,
    Welcome to the cult, what were you cooking roast on before the Egg? Without some idea of your skill lvel it is hard to advise. If you have done them before it should be no problem as the Egg is just a diffrent cooking device. I think they are easy to cook on but I had many years grilling on a gasser before my first egg.
    I started with cooks that I had done before on the gasser and as I got more comfortable with the Egg I followed ideas a recieps that I found here some worked out and some did not. Butt it is all GOOD.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tpc1
    I was cooking on a Gas grill. I usually would rotisserie the roast. But i have also cooked them indirect on the grill also. I was thinking of using the plate setter and the rib rack. And letting it go for the day. But im not sure if i should do something simple for my first cook. Thanks again
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    If it is ready to cook on when you bring it home on Saturday I would do a simple burgers and dogs cook and play with your temp control before during and after putting the food on. I'm sure you will be fine, but you will need a little time to play with your egg before you put a 50 dollar or more piece of meat on it. Just my opinion, welcome and good luck ;):)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Congrats and welcome aboard. Chicken, butt up, is always a great first cook. Here is to many great cooks on your egg. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Welcome tpc1, Simple is good, and will knock your socks off. Whole chicken is always good.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have only done one Prim rib roast and I think I did it indirect and it was great.I followed the Naked whiz method that he has on his website.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm
    Good luck,
    Jupiter Jim :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tpc1
    Thanks for all the responses. I will keep it easy on Sunday. I will try some chicken on Saturday.And take it from there. Thanks for the link to Nakedwhiz. I have been reading that site a lot. It is amazing how much info is out there on these grills. This summer is going to be a lot of fun.
  • tpc1
    Thanks for all the responses. I will keep it easy on Sunday. I will try some chicken on Saturday.And take it from there. Thanks for the link to Nakedwhiz. I have been reading that site a lot. It is amazing how much info is out there on these grills. This summer is going to be a lot of fun.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    You are going to love it...that said, if I were you I would consider something like chicken or burgers to start with. I'm sure you could turn out an awesome prime rib roast, but the odds of doing so on your first cook might be against you. It takes some time to get the hang of temp control - it's really not rocket science (heck, I manage it). But a holiday meal, your first cook on the new egg - I'd play it safe. Beer-can chicken or spatchcock chicken will wow everyone! Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forum. Look forward to pics from your first cook. :)
  • Welcome and enjoy that egg. From one newbie to another I learned here that you cook to temp and not time. That has served me wel. It tooke me a few cooks to get the experience to regulate the temp but I have it. I agree with you. This will be my first summer with it and I am gonna love it. Just picked me up 10 bags of lump.