Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Tilapia & Fresh Corn

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked the tilapia in a CI skillet and it turned out great. I cut back the temp a little this time, to 650 and liked the results better.

20-04-11BlackenedTilapia.jpg

This is my first corn of the season and it was pretty darn good.

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    No one here has any corn seed in the ground yet to cold. Fish & corn perfect :)
  • StratoEgg
    StratoEgg Posts: 81
    Options
    Looks great. No corn here yet...but the farmer's field I am backed up to will be in full swing shortly. Love watching the corn grow off my back porch.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    Bob, any chance of posting your recipe and cooking instructions? Thank you. Jer
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nice lookin' fish, I got a hankering for corn.....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Jer_inva wrote:
    Bob, any chance of posting your recipe and cooking instructions? Thank you. Jer

Jer_inva,

I really do not have a recipe, but I can talk about my technique. I started by reading Paul Prudhomme's description and then made a couple of changes to make it more Egg friendly.

First, I use Prudhomme's blackening seasoning mix. I would not try to say it is the best, but we like it. I do think that you have to be careful about using just any ol' rub, because the high temps make it unfriendly to sugar and some other spices.

http://labellecuisine.com/archives/fish/Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish.htm

I coat both sides of the fish with the seasoning mix and give it a pretty heavy coat of seasoning, but that depends on your taste. I would say it is completely covered in a single thin layer that sticks to the fish. I pat it down to be sure it is wet and sticks as well as possible.

I do not melt the butter -- I just get it very soft and then spread about 1/16 - 1/18" on one side, over the top of the seasoning. I tried mixing the seasoning in the butter, but it just did not seem to be worth the effort. I used one whole stick of butter to coat three fillets like the one you saw in hte picture. That was a little heavy, but the extra butter does not hurt anything.

I get the egg to around 650 and preheat the CI skillet for about 5 minutes. I put the fish in, butter side down and leave it for abut 2 1/2 minutes on the first side. I turn it and leave it about 1 minute. I cook it with the top down.

I have seen the butter burst into flame when you throw the fish on the grill -- just let it go and close the lid.

I have gone to 700+, but I don't think it improves the flavor and you can definitely over cook it faster.

I use a long cuff, silicon glove to open the grill and turn the fish.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That looks awesome, Bob. I need to try and blacken something (on purpose :woohoo: ) on the egg.

I've had corn a few times already this year and it was ok, but I can't wait till it really gets to the peak of the season.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    Bob, Thank You. My wife saw your post and wanted to give it a try so I'll have to add it to the list of things yet to be tried on the egg. Jer
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Very nice looking plate of goodness. Where did the corn come from? Good cooking! Randy