Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast $5.99lb at Publix!

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure if this is in all their stores, but the Publix up here in Hickory Flat, GA near Canton has beautiful standing rib roast at $5.99 a pound. This is a price they do about 3 times a year. It is normally around $10.99 a pound. Didn't like the one they had in the case, so my butcher buddy special carved two 5lb hunks for me. One for tonight and one was vaccumed sealed and frozen.

This particular Publix has the best meat of any place I have bought meat in the metro Atlanta area. Their steaks are amazing. Honestly, I have never bought a bad piece of meat from this particular store. They know me pretty well up there and actually call me when they have sales like this. Gotta love these guys!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    choice?
    sometimes they try to slip select past us.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Oh no, this is definitely choice. They don't sell select at this Publix......EVER :)

As a matter of fact, their choice is as close to prime as I have found.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Like Chubby pointed out Monday, our H.E.B. stores have aged prime ribeyes for $5.97 a pound. Regularly about $13.95. They do this every few weeks.

We bought a couple yesterday for when we return from the 50th state. We may want some 'regular' food by then.

Spring "Packed, Primed, Loaded And Ready" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up GB! That's right up the road from me.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    They don't sell select at this Publix......EVER

I bet they do.

They don't get to choose their meat, so (speaking on the macro level) "their" choice isn't any better or any worse than anyone else's choice.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Same deal at my Publix in Homosassa, FL. Ad says "Publix Premium Certified Beef, USDA Choice :)
    I do believe I will have some prime rib ala EGG this weekend :P :cheer:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    But isn't "butcher's choice" the same as choice?????
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The best steaks I have had came from this same Publix.

DSC_0164.JPG

...I just wish it had been on sale
    DSC_0166.JPG

Ouch! :S.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    Options
    there are some sales programs that create a second level above choice but below prime. "top choice" is an old moniker for a chunk of beef that can't be called prime but is often sold at a premium.

"chairman's reserve" is something i have seen too.

for what it's worth, certified angus beef is really a program developed to up-sell angus beef. it needs to meet certain criteria, but those criteria are set by a council bent on selling angus beef, so buyer be educated.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Maybe so, but not recognized as a quality grade by the USDA!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Greenwise will rarely be $5.99....if ever!
  • stike
    Options
    they operate fully within the grades select/choice/prime, but they cherry-pick from within them

there are three grades each of prime and choice.
    there IS such a thing as prime^+, prime^0, and prime^-, for example

if a butcher knew he had choice^+, he could legitimately sell it for more than choice^-

the CAB program is independent of the USDA system, even though it is still also graded by the USDA

what's that mean? it means i can sell "stike's super-great certified ultra grade" beef for whatever people will pay. somewhere on the carton it'll have a USDA stamp too.

or, i can sell "top choice" for more than "choice", assuming it is actually choice^+