Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple BBQ Chicken

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wouldn't call this a fancy meal by any stretch, but Monday night Stacie was talking about how her Dad used to make bbq chicken and I could tell she would be happy if I could make something like what she remembered from her childhood.

I started out marinating the chicken in Lawry's Herb and Garlic Marinade with Lemon. I also added some green onions, some red pepper flakes and a touch of minced garlic for extra flavor.

While the chicken was marinating away, I set up the Egg at 250 with some Kroger brand lump charcoal and some mesquite chips. (her dad always cooked on mesquite, we're from south Texas). Originally I was going to set it up with the place setter in, legs up and the grate on top of that, but due to tornado warnings and thunderstorms on the way, I opted for using a raised grate on top of the original grate.

Before we get started, we need something to quench the thirst.

P1020560.jpg

Time to throw the chicken on. Here you can kind of see the raised grate set up.

P1020561.jpg

Once the chicken was on, I took the leftover marinade and brought it to a boil to kill off any yucky chicken stuff, and added some white vinegar, some butter, some more garlic, pepper and red pepper flakes to use as a mop for the cook.

P1020564.jpg

P1020565.jpg

Did I mention storms coming? I had to set up my umbrella to shield the egg from the rain so it wouldn't drip on my food.

P1020566.jpg

Stacie finally got home and rolled up her sleeves to get in the action. Right about this point, the fire had burned down to another layer of buried wood chips and was smoking away. It was really starting to look good. We bumped the egg up to 300, took away the raised grate (both to help carmelize the bbq sauce she wanted slathered on and to give us more space for the corn. BBQ sauce was a mix of Stubb's and Salt Lick)

P1020567.jpg

P1020568.jpg

Some of them got a little more "done" than what I wanted, but she wanted some of them that way, reminiscent of how her dad did it.
P1020569.jpg

And my plate along with some new potato salad (at least for me) that I found at Tom Thumb. It had red potatoes, bacon and blue cheese. A new one to me, but pretty good for store bought.
P1020570.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good, messy, but good. Marinating the chicken and then basting it throughout the cook really worked out well. I could taste underlying flavors from the marinade as well as the bbq sauce and it had a nice smokey flavor from being smoked for a few hours prior to direct grilling it. And more important, it made Stacie happy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Jason that looks very good.
    Just a thought of another way:
    I spatchcock direct and high in the dome at 375/400. Never turn and very near the last 15 min's hit it with the sauce. Takes about 50 to 60 mins. Just saves turning the chicken much. I do put sauce on the bottom as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that Jason. It looks really good.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    You know the old saying: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't noboby happy!"

I've gotton so used to doing simple spatchcock, I forgot what it was like to do "regular" bbq chicken! It's now on the list.
  • BDogD
    BDogD Posts: 14
    Options
    Eggscellent looking meal!

I really like your opening thirst quencher. How did you like it?

Alan
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Looks like a good hearty meal!! ... all except that Unibroue Beer from Quebec. :sick: .. I tried that at a local Beerfest and gagged... I'm sure it was double fermented and wicked strong!! Nearly 8% if I recall.. :woohoo: :woohoo: ..

I like the lights you have under the umbrella. I'd like to get me some of those! thanks for sharing!!
  • Griffin
    Options
    The beer was good, but I prefer their Tres Pistoles or Fin de Monde better.

Badger - I think my wife picked up those lights at Lowe's or Home Depot. Makes a world of difference at night in a very poorly lit backyard. Something I would change if it wasn't a rent house.

Rowlett, Texas

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I'd eat that... I like chicken basted with BBQ sauce and I agree with your wife... those little "done" bits can be the best. :)

Nice cook...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Super photos, thanks for sharing.
    BTW, I don't know about Salt Lick, but IMHO, Stubbs is a good as any sauce that comes out of a bottle!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Griffin
    Options
    Both are good, but different. I think that Salt Lick has a more heat to it, that is why it was added in.

Rowlett, Texas