Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

best replacement gasket for high temps

Hungry CelesteHungry Celeste Posts: 530
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've finally fried my Large's gasket beyond redemption; it leaked smoke during a low & slow this weekend. So which replacement gasket is best? I frequently cook at pizza-hot temperatures, so I'm looking primarily for high-temp durability (as opposed to cost or ease of installation). TIA for your recommendations.
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    might want to try the search function (which is admittedly abyssmal). gaskets are a popular topic, with much speculation and many warnings about non-standard gaskets ( rutland-cement-adhered rutland fiberglass, rtv-adhered rutland, coltronics fiber, RTV silicone by itself...).

BGE offers a high temp nomex gasket, and of course there's the wool felt sacrificial option.

personally, i have a rutland adhered with hi-temp silicone. i am also a known idiot and provocateur, dangerous eater of questionable foodstuffs with their myriad and dubious levels of food-safety, and someone not given to thinking critically in any respect :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    I have the rutland gasket with the hi temp silicone glue... :)
    ·
  • chronochrono Posts: 177
    Rutland 3X .. I've been using this stuff since last year and have done many high temp pizza cooks without any issues. This stuff seems indestructible.
    ·
  • wkygrillerwkygriller Posts: 408
    I have a rutland on both of my eggs. Very happy with it. Send Ron (RRP) an email and he will get you set up in a hurry!
    ·
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    stike wrote:
    might want to try the search function (which is admittedly abyssmal). gaskets are a popular topic, with much speculation and many warnings about non-standard gaskets ( rutland-cement-adhered rutland fiberglass, rtv-adhered rutland, coltronics fiber, RTV silicone by itself...).

BGE offers a high temp nomex gasket, and of course there's the wool felt sacrificial option.

personally, i have a rutland adhered with hi-temp silicone. i am also a known idiot and provocateur, dangerous eater of questionable foodstuffs with their myriad and dubious levels of food-safety, and someone not given to thinking critically in any respect :laugh:

what in the who now? haha
    context is important :)
    ·
  • I'll stand up for the Cotronics contingent. Have the self adhesive Cotronics on both larges. Also indestructible like the Rutland. Three years on one large and two on the other with no signs of deterioration. Like the Rutland, it is not approved for use with/near food. Meh
    ·
  • CheloChelo Posts: 22
    Hello Hungry Celeste,

I just got the same problem, I made my First Pizza Last Friday and I had smoke leaks on Sunday
    ·
  • Rutland is on my large. No problems since I installed.
    ·
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    another happy Rutland/silcone user
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,406
    Anyone have a link to where the Rutland can be purchased?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • davehempdavehemp Posts: 109
    Contact Ron(RRP), he's a great guy and will help...I'm happy with my Rutland and Copper Silicone...(sloppy install and all :blush: )
    ·
  • I installed my Rutland about 1 year ago. Using ultra copper as the "glue" haven't had any issues. Just wish I would have been more patient with the last few inches.

I followed these instuctions: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Got my Rutland at Menard's.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,406
    Thanks.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    My original gasket didn't last too long. Here's my journey with the Rutland gasket (and very happy with it so far):

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069873&catid=1#
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Menard's sells the Rutland Gasket at their stores. If you have one in your area.
    ·
  • TidecreekTidecreek Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I have the same problem right now with my gasket from doing high temp pizzas, how do you get ahold of the guy who sells the kits for this gasket?
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Ron is a regular participant under the handle RRP. You can send him a message via the board if you like.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,464
    LOL and hiding in an open field!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,697
    Lots of folks here don't use ANY gasket. They say it works just fine. I prefer some cushioning so I use the apparently indestructible Rutland, adhered with Permatex Ultra Copper. Works great!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Well, I have smoke wafting out all over the place, so I have to fill the gap with something.
    ·
  • I just replaced my gasket tonight with the BGE High Heat Gasket. It wasn't easy - but wasn't too hard either.

I couldn't have done it without the advice of Bubba Tim.
    ·