Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frogmat Grouper

Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a couple of the new Frogmats from Poolmandan at the Sunshine Fest. Last night was my first chance to try them.

Egg chugging along about 350 dome with the Frogmat in place and an ear of fresh Florida sweet corn getting a head start on the raised 1/2 grid
5632188347_5912cba512.jpg
P4170002 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
Put on a nice hunk of fresh caught Florida grouper coated with a little EVOO and Byron's Jubilee rub
5632188881_5a08bc1149.jpg
P4170003 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
Jacked the temp up to 500 for the fish
5632773268_32cf6a339e.jpg
P4170004 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
Finished with some toamto and avacado salad, it dosen't get much better than this :) :P :cheer: 5632775614_6e91d52e5d.jpg
P4170008 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

The frogmats are a great product. Absolutely no sticking of the food and very easy cleanup B)
Thanks for looking :)

Comments

• Nice, Frank. Fresh caught grouper, YUM.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I won some FrogMats in Salado but haven't tried them yet. Thanks for the reminder. That looks great.

Bubba Tim did a nice write-up about the FrogMats and got my curiosity up. Anything that keeps meat from falling thru the grid is a good thing, especially if there is no sticking or clean-up issues.

Spring "Frogmats Frogmats Everywhere ..." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Capt Frank
    Thanks Faith, I have a little bit left over that I am going to use in Qusedillas tonight, I can buy grouper at the dock for abt $12/lb, when I catch it myself I figure abt $100/lb :laugh: Went out again today and got skunked :lol: But then it is not snowing here! :laugh:
    Hey Chicken, I was very impressed with the Frogmats, I'm sure you will be too :)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hey Capt. Frank!

I bought a frogmat from the egg dealer at the fest for seafood grilling. Have not used it yet but I will soon on some Copper River Salmon. :)
    Holy samoly your grouper looks mighty good! :woohoo: I can hardly wait until Friday when I can try out my frogmat.

I went to Squid Lips in Melbourne last Monday night and had their oakwood grilled grouper, really enjoyed that dinner and now I would like to replicate it at home with the salmon.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Sorry I did not know you were at Squid Lips, only 10 minute walk from my place. Glad you enjoyed the meal. Great seeing you and Diane again. Drop me your usps addy when you have a minute. Richard
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Don't want to sound terribly ignorant....but...did you flip the fish at all? It looks as though you did not. I like the looks of the Frogmat - was it easy to clean? Most important of all, that grouper looks fantastic! ;)
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Hey Frank!,
    It's Grillmandan!
    Glad you like the frogmats.
  • Couple questions for ya: where can you buy a frogmat? I think I've seen something similar at Meijer grocery store but not sure it's it's a Frogmat? Can you reuse or is it a throw away item? Thanks.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Capt Frank
    Clay, I think you will be happy with it, I was very impressed with the product. I am glad we got to spend a little time together at Melbourne :) Glad you enjoyed Squid Lips, it is a neat place. Lots of good eateries around there. :) :cheer:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I thought the frogmats were for indirect cooking only? Do you have a spider and stone under that grid, or did the direct cook not harm the mat?

If they're usable direct it may change my desire to own one form "kinda" to "gotta"
  • Capt Frank
    Elzbth, yes, I did flip the fish. One of the great things about this product is the the non-stick as well as the ease of slipping a spatula or tongs under your food. You just wash the thing in your sink, very easy cleanup.
    Ky Wildcat Fan, I have no idea where to purchase these things other than from my favorite EGG dealer in Melboure, Fl, He will probably ship them to you. Ping "Grillmandan". They are not a throwaway, you just wash and reuse. Upper temp limit is 550 and I suspect that if you stay within that they will last a very long time. Dan has them cut for different size eggs.
    I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but when I come across a good product I like to pass on the info. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Rod the package only says good to 500 degrees but I'll give it a try this weekend. Love that you can just toss it in the dishwasher
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Hey - I looked at the web page, but don't see the Frotmat. Do you have them for a small? :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Pardon me,Your Majesty. Why have you not posted any 'Loney pics from the SSFest??? :huh: :(
  • Capt Frank
    Fidel, I cooked direct on the firering, I can see no harm to the Frogmat. I did hold my dome to about 450 knowing the grid temp would be higher :) The corn was on for about 30 min at 350, then I cranked her up do the fish, which only took a few minutes. I am sure there is point where you can turn this thing to toast, but used with common sense I think it will last a long time :) I think they are well worth the cost. The thing was only $10.99 :)
  • Capt Frank
    Dan, it seems to be a great product, thanks! :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

That looks perfect Frank! I love fresh grouper. :)

Blair

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Their online webpage is www.frogmats.com. I ordered mine direct from them. Jer
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That looks like a great meal! Fantastic color on the fish.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Frank, your grouper with the Florida sweet corn looks delicious! :) Grouper is one one of my favorite fish.

I am definitely going to put those frogmats on my list to pick up at the minifest.
  • Capt Frank
    Good plan Rebecca, maybe someone will show up with some grouper too! :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I'll get the frogmat from GrillManDan if you catch the grouper! :lol:
  • Capt Frank
    Read my reply to Faith :laugh: