Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping BIG Little Steven

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Judy,

There is a damper in the barrel of the tube that comes out of the blower. If you look at it from the open end you should close it to a quarter moon shaped opening. If you don't it will be like having the lower vent open an inch or so and you will not be able to maintain low temps. Let me know if you see what I mean and if you don't I'll try and find one and take a pic.

Steve.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    Yes, I see exactly what you meant with the aid of a flashlight. The crescent shapes looking into the tube correspond to the marks on the reverse side of the sliding damper.

So with the top mark only just showing, the damper is mostly closed with a very small crescent moon with one side convex, kind of like a marquise shape of a diamond, and that's what I want for low and slow, right?

The shape gets bigger as I slide the damper out to the fourth mark, which leaves the damper wide open. Correct?

That bugger was really grimy with grease and I I cleaned it up a bit. Would never have noted that without this post,
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Steven
    Judy,

I never noticed any marks but I am not very observant. 1/4 moon shape on the damper you'll be fine. It will keep puffing air until it gets up to temp. My first cook with one left me totally perplexed but the controller can't cool.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You have it Judy. Any time you have your temps climbing with the guru in that's the first place to check
  • Little Steven
    And here I thought that was going to be an insult

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    It was but I was hit with a wave of kindness :kiss: :ohmy:
  • Little Steven
    And sympathy no doubt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    There are four black markers on reverse slide of the damper slide. You must have noticed then at one time or another, but almost impossible to see when the Guru is set up. You see it better when it's in your hand.

It's obvious you two guys love each other dearly. Why else would the teasing be so fresh and witty?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Steven
    That rodent? You must be kidding!

Steve 

Caledon, ON