Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CLEANING MY EGG

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Egg for almost 2 years and it has developed quite a black oily coating inside......[p]Whats the best way to clean this ? Its accumulated to the point I cannot deal wth it. Is this normal in an egg ??

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Tom ,
    As far as I`m concerned..it`s normal...if it really bothers you that much you can do a high temp burn, somewhere in the 650°-700° range for an hour or 2 and that will get everything about as clean as possible.......however, you may have to reload the lump to achieve this, and be FORWARNED...you will most likely crack a firebox doing this, most certainly will trash your gasket...these high temps for extended times can be costly...but it will get most of the egg back to being white again for a short time...think..self cleaning oven...HTH..let us know if you try it, a more productive way to achieve similar results would be to have a pizza party, do 4,5, or 6 pizzas in the 550°- 600° range and you will do a good bit of cleaning plus get to eat some good food in the process...[p]Wess

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Tom ,
    Sounds like it could be creosote buildup - do you routinely add flavor wood? (That's a major contributor.) [p]Whether or not it's normal depends on how much volatile oils is in the lump and flavor woods you use, so yes, I'd say "some" buildup is normal. [p]Easiest way to deal with it is to brush it off with a stiff wire brush, the kind masons use to clean brick, etc. I recommend following this with removal & disposal of any lump that was in the cooker, and a thorough vaccuuming.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Or as I remember from a earlier post, place a sheet of aluminum foil on a grid while doing the high temp thing.[p]I tried this several weeks ago and it seemed to work pretty good.[p]Toy Man
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Tom , I do a high temp burn off, remove everything, then vaccum. My fire is already cracked so that part doesnt matter, My gasket is fried but still works great so that doesnt matter. I do mine about twice a year. Usually at 650 for about 4 hours. I then only use Cowboy lump since its cheap.
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    GUYS :[p]I may try the high temp thing....[p]I only use lump charcoal - thats it.... I use differant brands... its all lump though - I have NEVER had anything in my egg but lump charcoal - the real stuff with no fillers etc.... I used to use the Green Egg brand but its too hard to find...