Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

April's Full Moon

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All

Tonights moon . . .

Obscure Full Moon Names of 2011
"Apr. 17, 10:44 p.m. EDT – Full Pink Moon: The grass pink or wild ground phlox is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names were the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon and – among coastal tribes – the Full Fish Moon, when the shad come upstream to spawn.

In 2011, this is also the Paschal Full Moon; the first full moon of the spring season. The first Sunday following the Paschal Moon is Easter Sunday, which indeed will be observed one week later on Sunday, April 24. This, incidentally, is just one day shy of the latest date that Easter can fall."

I have posted a couple shots from different cameras mounted on my large scope, I have then uploaded two different sizes if any of you would like to have a copy. Right click on the photo in my post on the size you would like and select "Save picture as..." or what ever your browser says and it should save it the size I have put on PhotoBucket.

1024 pixels wide
DSCN7982A_1024XXX.jpg

800 pixels wide
DSCN7982A_800aXXX.jpg

1024 pixels wide
DSC_7324A_1024XXX.jpg

800 pixels wide
DSC_7324A_800XXX.jpg

Molly had sent me a link to this article (Thanks Molly) but the moon was too bright to see anything else. :)

Have a great night All,

Blair

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I knew you'd come through. I thank you!! :)
    It's very beautiful my friend!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Thanks Blair, great pictures as always
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I knew that tonight was a full moon, but didn't know about the Pink full moon. Thanks to you (and Molly) for sharing. Your photos are always fabulous! :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Molly, glad you like them. :)

Blair

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Once again, those are beautiful pics of the moon Blair! :)
  • Gator Bait

Your welcome Pat, that Florida moon is bright tonight! :blink:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Elizabeth, I was interested in the pink also. :cheer:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Rebbeca, I'm glad you like them. I hope they get viewed by those that are clouded over and can't see it tonight. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Cool Pics!Great info,I'm callin it a Planter's Moon cause I'm startin the garden in the morning! ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Love that. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Hoss, I like your name for it and think it appropriate. I like the name Egg Moon, I'm not sure why it is called the Egg Moon but a lot of wild birds start nesting now. I like to think it is because many of our friends here can start egging in the comfort of spring temperatures. ;)

Blair

• Super photos as usual G.B.! Thanks I really enjoy your work. I hope you have some printed and hanging on your wall's. They are worthy.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Blair doesn't seem that long since the last one and we were sitting out watching, TKS for keeping us informed of such beautiful event
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Way to go Blair, I feel so close to it it doesn't even look real. :laugh:
  • Gator Bait

Thanks G&C, I'm happy you like them. I don't have a wall big enough to hang anything on, I have a small park model mobile home and wall space is all used up by windows and doors. Last winter I had to replace my old TV with a 46" HDTV, that is my largest viewing area by far. Tomorrow I will have to see how they look in 1080p. :lol:

Blair

• Gator Bait

My pleasure Beli, it must be beautiful from up in your mountains. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Adam, this is as close as I can get . . .

1024 pixels wide
    DSCN7964A_1024XXX.jpg

At this magnification my picture quality is suffering so I only experiment with it. My focal length is probably over 3000mm here. Notice how the right side of the moon is dropping out of the image. This was taken with my point and shoot on a special adapter and special 75X eye piece on my scope. Can you reach out and touch it yet? :lol:

Blair

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Interesting background information associated with this moon. Over here we have smelt runs and I believe the moon triggers the runs along with water temperature. I often look up and squint at the moon admiring it's presence but seeing your photo's helps me appreciate it's beauty in full and clear detail.
    Thanks for sharing. :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Awesome....just for fun I took a few with my point and shoot - ha ha ha ha!! They are a joke - literally a dot compared to this amazing shot! :woohoo: :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks again Elizabeth , without the specialized attachments and my scope my cameras don't do anything but dots also. My first attempts to photograph the moon were pretty dismal. :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Clay and good morning. I would think that the spring moon was, at least in part, a trigger for the fish runs also. Scientist seam to think water temperature is the answer. I like to think that the American Indians and the early settlers that depended on the smelt and herring runs were watching the moon and not their thermometers. Life is never so simple and I would think water temperature, ice out, the spring full moon and for the coastal fisheries the tides are all contributing factors.

Blair

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Nassa's satellite could take some pointers from your photography!! Like some high doller coffie table book. Planted mine Wendsday before packing for Oklahoma Hoss. Bought time for the aphids to desend. :angry:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Great shots Blair!! Thanks! :cheer:
  • Gator Bait

Thanks JL, I wish I had some of NASA's hardware! They put me to shame when it comes to detail where mine may be a little more artistic. LOL, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Frank, I'm glad you like them. :)

Blair

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,454
    Thanks for sharing your amazing moon and wildlife photos over the years Blair. RIP
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's heartbreaking. Dang. I thought he was one of the coolest guys on the old forum. He was never negative and he was dealt a heavy hand. 

I was excited to see a post of his show up. Unfortunately it wasn't current and some very sad news. Prayers for his family and friends. Gator will be missed!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    man that's shock about Gator Bait . . . very sad :o
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Thanks for sharing your amazing moon and wildlife photos over the years Blair. RIP
    How did you hear about this?

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    loco_engr said:
    How did you hear about this?

Spring Chicken posted on the old forum. Loved his pics
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA