Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First OVERNIGHT Low & Slow Pork Butt

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I always make smaller butts and cook them on the Small during the day. But my baby girl wanted pulled pork for her family and bought a 7-lb. butt, so I loaded the Large at midnite last night. I used a spider over the charcoal, with a hickory chunk buried in it:

IMG_0152.jpg

Once the lump was lit I put a foil-wrapped pizza stone on it, then put on the grid with a large drip pan filled with apple juice. I put the butt on a homemade raised grid instead of using a V-rack, and stuck in the probe tree. I used mustard and DP Raging River on the meat. The last view I had of it till 11 AM today:

IMG_0155.jpg

Here's what you do with the BBQ Guru Probe Tree:

IMG_0157.jpg

Here's a close-up of it--I highly recommend it:

IMG_0163.jpg

I think it was Clay Q (not sure) who told me about turning the thermometer so the desired temp is at the top, making it easy to see when the dial points straight up:

IMG_0160.jpg

Almost done at 10 AM. Gotta turn that Ramp light off:

IMG_0161.jpg

At 11 AM it finally blinked 190° and done. Great bark and very moist:

IMG_0174.jpg

AND I LOVE BEAR PAWS.. held them with the points facing out, away from each other for VERY efficient shredding. I had to use my hands for the tough bark, though.

Overnight butt was a breeze, with a Guru. And thanks Bubba Tim for telling me how to split really big chunks of wood!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Another successful butt cook. I bet your family was very happy with your tasty butt cook. :P

Congrats on your first over night cook. ;)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Delicious Judy, I still have to get some nice Bear Paws......
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Very Nice Judy!!

I too like those probe trees...always have!
    Looks like you and I are just a couple "Old Schoolers" with our "pre" Digi Q Gurus!

I have some PP food saver'd in the freezer as we speak...hmmmmm? I think I'm thinkin' what you were thinkin'...lol!!

Am I gonna see you in June?

:whistle:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Nice Judy, I need to look into that tree
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hi Judy!
    Yeah, that was me with the tip on positioning the therm so target dome temp is straight up, easy to read from a distance that way. ;):)

Your pulled pork looks awesome with a very nice bark. All yummmmy stuff!

Was great to meet you at the fest. :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Out of moolah, Chubs. Unless a miracle happens.

I "withheld" some PP when grandson came over to pick it up. I'm going to make some coleslaw and have a bun defrosting. Living it up tonight!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Clay, that posting at Rebecca's house was what legends are made of. I wanna eat at Rebecca's too! My grandpa was a cabinetmaker, had a couple of finger stubs to prove it, so I really can appreciate the construction of your table. I think I saw wedges. Beautiful work.

Meeting you was a real pleasure.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Pat:

You'll be getting a package in a few days. Please tell me it didn't break.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Beli:

There are people on this forum who detest them...I wish you could have a tryout before making up your mind. The points are very sharp so you could always use them to aerate the dirt around all your beautiful potted plants.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Looks good, Judy. I like your guru. Would much prefer knobs to adjust temps. Like tuning old car radios. :)

Looks like you set the pit temp at 250°, but placed the probe at grid level. So you're dome temp was what, 275-ish? I just clip mine to the dome thermo probe and set at 250°.

I still haven't done an all-nighter, even though I've had the guru since January. Start early AM and eat whenever it's done.

Anyway, I hope you saved enough for me... I'm on my way! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Tim:

Haven't heard back from the troops yet. They include two teenage (16 and 18) skinny boys who are both 6' 3" tall and eat like linebackers. Do they even slow down enough to taste it? I'll have to ask if they knew what they were eating.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    N/M
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    I'll look for you...and we'll have grilled grapefruit for dessert. Your protestations ring hollow. Next on the list--the G word.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    brussels sprout...avocado...grilled grapefruit? I don't know about that last one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Start early AM and eat whenever it's done.

Yep, that's what I do too. I like eating late, anyway.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    I don't think you know that it has sugar caramelized on the top, so it's a sweet/tart combination.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    well, it would be, wouldn't it? I haven't had grapefruit in 20 years. and of course, never grilled.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Like you, I've always egged smaller butts during the day. Just don't think I can go to sleep with the egg loaded up and cooking. Your photos are great - very tasty looking pork! :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thanks, Elizabeth. I wish they'd bring back the old kindergarten Guru with two knobs and a plug. It made all that possible without a quiver of misapprehension. I tell you, it loves you back. Yes, you would be able to sleep. I even took an Ambien.

The only downside is that at that hour you go to bed smelling smoky. OK in the living room but not especially nice in bed.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    You GO girl!! Looks great! Great meeting you in Florida! Hope to see you there in 2012! :laugh:
  • Nice cook and nice pictorial Judy
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    That's a beautiful butt Judy! :)

BURP! :lol:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    The only downside is that at that hour you go to bed smelling smoky. OK in the living room but not especially nice in bed.

I know what you mean and it's a rough job but, some body has to do it. ;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Michelle:

I learned so much from you and Tim last weekend. What a great event that was! I look forward to seeing you again.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Pork looks delicious... I don't have a guru, but I could see how that would make it a breeze.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great looking cook. Congratulations.

Kent
  • Chelo
    Chelo Posts: 22
    Hello Judy,

It looks Great...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thank you and welcome, Chelo. Are you a fried of Beli's?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Michael, I hope you see this before it drops into the abyss, but I just realized I've never had grilled grapefruit either!!!!

What I was remembering was a grapefruit half topped with sugar and put UNDER THE BROILER in the oven till glazed and bubbly. It was a very nice and refreshing dish.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Chelo
    Chelo Posts: 22
    Yes Judy,

Beli is my Friend