Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone use the Medium for portable jobs?

Options
tmEGGer
tmEGGer Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing a 2nd egg. I want something that I can bring to Mom & Dad's, bring to a beach house, etc. So, it needs to be portable, but large enough to handle food for 6-8 people. [p]I have a large -- too big & heavy to be portable. The mini's out -- too small. [p]Does anyone have experience with the Medium as a portable? Any tips on how you transport it?

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    NutmEGGer,
    I have a medium. Is it portable, yes. Is it bulky, yes. Would I personally use it as a 'portable' egg - NO. Some here may differ, but personally, I would opt for the small instead of the medium if you want a travel buddy. Just my $.02[p]Banker John

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    NutmEGGer,[p]I agree. I have a small med and large. The medium stays put. I have my small in a roll around cart and can take it out and transport. If you get a raised grid you will have no trouble feeding six off of it.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    NutmEGGer,[p]I say yes. I carried a medium with me two years ago and a small last year. This year I'm going back to the medium. It weighs about 100 lbs. I can bear hug it and move it easily from my van to a nest or a picnic table. It has a platesetter, and basically I think it cooks much more like a large. I have not made any homemade eggcessories for my small, but it's never going to be as big as a medium.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • NutmEGGer,[p]Our portable eggs are the mini, and the medium (once we get a replacement at Florida Fest...we had one, but we sold it, now we are replacing it)...yeah it's a little heavy, but it is managable, and it sure is nice to be able to cook bigger things like turkey, pizza, or a whoke bunch of ribs!
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Brutus,[p]Let's see...had one, sold it, now replacing it.
    For someone who cooks ceramically as much as you two, that kind of dis-proves that rumor (below) that the medium is the forgotten size.[p]BOB

• Banker John
    Options
    Saw your post and had to ask... Are you coming to the Florida Eggfest? I hope to see you there. We still talk about your baked pumkin from the first ever Florida Q-Fest![p]Hope to see you there![p]Banker John