Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Octopus

snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just bought an Octopus. It has been cleaned. I would like to grill it on the egg.
I guess I have to boil it first?
Any help would be great.
Rubs, lemon? Lime?
Thanks

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    best google grilled octopus [with or with out mario batali] i have cooked baby ones in broth japanese style on the mini but never grill a raw one,,
    i do tenderize by smashing it a bit with a big chunk of diakon radish
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Oh dear, you should have done some research first. Only thing I can suggest.. like squid, cook it fast or long & slow.. Good luck!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Snake,

If it is a baby you can get away with a one day marinade. If it isn't I would simmer til tender and then grill. Lemon, garlic, salt, olive oil and oregano is really good. If you marinate leave the lemon out til the end

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• snake701uk
    I am searching, LOL, I ate grilled octopus in Mexico last week and wanted to try. Thanks.
  • snake701uk
    Thanks, It is not a baby, I guess 1.5lbs. Normally here they just boil them so I might make various trials considering I am on my own Tommorrow.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Here is a picture of Nature Boy cooking squid at 2002 eggfest in Waldorf.He cooked them hot and fast or they will become rubber.
    Larry
    115d.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Are you back home yet? Nice meeting you and your friend. Here is one way.

Octopus, Midnight Smoker

INGREDIENTS:
    **********Octopus********
    2 gallons of water
    4 lemons, cut in half and squeezed
    2 cups white wine vinegar
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    6 bay leaves
    2 whole octopi, 2 pounds each (cleaned by your fish monger)
    ********Marinade*********
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    2 oz white wine vinegar
    1 tsp dry Greek oregano
    Juice of 2 lemons, freshly squeezed
    ********Salad*********
    1 red pepper, grilled or broiled, seeded and diced
    1 yellow pepper, grilled or broiled, seeded and diced
    3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    2 oz extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp dry Greek oregano
    Juice of 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
    Salt
    Pepper

Procedure:
    ********For octopus********
    1 Combine all the ingredients in a large pot, except the octopus. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Holding the head of the octopus with tongs, dunk it into boiling water 3 times, leaving the octopus submerged for 3-5 seconds each time. This is called ‘scaring’ the octopus (the tentacles will curl up as you plunge the octopus in the boiling water). Repeat with remaining octopus.
    2 Place both octopi in the pot and cook 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove them from the liquid and cool on a tray.
    **********For marinade*********
    1 Combine all ingredients in a bowl or dish fitted with a cover. Cut the blanched octopus in half and place it in the marinade. Turn to coat, cover and refrigerate overnight.
    *********For Salad**********
    1 Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
    *********To serve**********
    1 Throw the Octopus on the BGE at 350 with a direct set up. Cook 5-7 minutes or until it is charrred to your liking. Cut octopus into medium-sized pieces. Place a small amount of salad in center of plate. Set 3-4 pieces of octopus on top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and garnish with caper berries and pea shoots

Recipe Type
    Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Midnight Smoker

Source: BGE Forum, Midnight Smoker, 2006/07/24
  • snake701uk
    Thanks Richard,
    We just got back. All ok. All set to start cooking again. Take care. Andy