Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight it's Smoked Salmon

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once again it's meatless Friday in our house. Even though last Friday's pizza was a success my wife wanted fish so I decided to try my hand with smoked salmon. I used a fish cure that was made with brown sugar, kosher salt, cracked pepper, dried dill and coriander. I applied the cure wrapped in plastic wrap and off to the fridge for 4 hrs. I got my egg stabilized at 350 deg. so that I could season a cast iron dutch oven and a cast iron frying pan while I was waiting for the salmon to cure. Four hrs. later I had 2 seasoned pots and one cured salmon. I set my plate setter for indirect heat through two handfuls of Jack Daniels wood chips, placed my fish and veggie grid sprayed with Pam over the grate and place the salmon on the grid. 25 min. later I flipped once and then another 25 min. the salmon was done. Much to my and my wife's surprise the salmon was not dry and tasted excellent. I am putting another notch in my belt for this one.[p]
Just put on the grill
7e06c50d.jpg[p][p]After first flip
7870b485.jpg[p]
Just brought into the house
bb625d70.jpg[p]
Served with a baked potato sour cream and chives, and petite whole beans.
eb104933.jpg

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Salmon is one of our favorites, the whole family likes and agrees on. We like it direct at about 450 deg on an extended grill. Since I have 4 daughters and a wife I am always in the minority but everyone agrees that the Dizzy Pig Raging River is great on salmon. Yours looks great and I am just ready to put my salmon on the large, the veggies with Dizzy Dust on them is already on the small. I enjoy seeing your pictures and posts.

• Greendriver
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]You definitely got a handle on it railroader...I wouldn't need nothing else either. My Grandaddy retired from L&N with a 20 year gold watch (that you had to open) and a 40 year silver one you didn't...bet no one would be surprise by that - unless they wuz a lot younger that us.
  • Skychief
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    That sure does look great! I am going to give it a try next week.

• Retired RailRoader, That's a great looking meal !!!