Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking with wine in DO

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try some Dutch oven cooking, but my recipes have wine added. I'm afraid of flareups from the alcohol. How are you guys doing adding wine to your stews on the egg? I have an oxtail stew and braised short ribs that both have wine added mid cook.
Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    PattyO,

You would need some pretty strong wine to get flare ups. It won't even happen with distilled stuff on a do.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I use a cheap burgundy for beef dishes. I don't want to light my porch on fire.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not to worry. There isn't enough alcohol in wine to flare. Honest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I your DO is CI, then you will likely remove all your mothering whenever you do wine or something acidic like tomato sauce in it.

If you use a porcelain coated DO, then you have no worries - wine is ~25% alcohol by volume so it shouldn't flare up unless you do something like chicken cacciatore where you really force a flare up in the pan with virtually no other liquid.

Relax and let us know how it turns out.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Pics would be great if it flares! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Nah

Doesn't happen
    Osso bucco does just fine in a Dutch oven

The warnings are everywhere, but I haven't ever actually heard anyone having a problem with cast iron and tomato, let alone wine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I want to know where you're getting 50 proof wine B)

But I agree with stike, wine or acidic food won't ruin to seasoning on the cast iron unless you store the foods in there for long periods. I cook all sorts of stuff in my cast iron with no issues. I figure if a hot and spicy chili doesn't wreck it then it's pretty safe.
  • Cast Iron cookware gets a shiny non-stick surface when oils absorb into the pores of the cast iron over years of use. This process is called mothering.

Mothering is best done with repeated high heat and cooling cycles with high temperature oil (like canola).

For instance, I have a 12" chicken fryer (deep skillet with cast iron lid) that I mothered by deep frying 10-12 batches of home made french fries in.

I also have a 20+ year old Lodge 16" CI DO that I use for large cooks in the oven and on the BGE, but it too started as a deep fryer to get it properly mothered.

Hope that helps your understanding....

Oh, and never, ever, ever, ever use soap to clean your cast iron cookware. I use a stiff nylon brush and hot water, then dry with paper towels and put the CI away.