Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: Chips or Chunks?

Options
SmkyJ
SmkyJ Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious to know what every one uses and why. Im on chips right now but my local BGE dealer just started stocking chunks so I am wondering what the difference is and should i get on some chunks for smoke?
thanks!

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    SmkyJ wrote:
    Curious to know what every one uses and why. Im on chips right now but my local BGE dealer just started stocking chunks so I am wondering what the difference is and should i get on some chunks for smoke?
    thanks!

Chunks....they come in small chunks too, so if you don't want too much smoke, use a small guy or two. I like the flavor that a couple good chunks of wood add when smoking BBQ...so the longer is better. Just my opinion.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Neither will catch on fire in the BGE. No need to soak them either.
    I put them in the center up and down within the lump, as the fire burns down it will find new wood
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Chunks......lost a wild cherry tree to an ice storm, and it is too much work to make chips :whistle:
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Whatever I have handy. I usually can't find chunks of cherry or apple in the store, so I get the chips when i can find them. I ususally use chunks of mesquite or hickory....habit from when I had an offset firebox. Both work well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I prefer chunks. Mainly because I have about 40lbs of cherry wood chunks in the garage ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    NibbleMeThis wrote:
    I prefer chunks. Mainly because I have about 40lbs of cherry wood chunks in the garage ;)

By the way, you have a GREAT blog going right now!!! B)