Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oklahoma Eggfest Burn Ban **Important**

Snoopy Dog Dog
Snoopy Dog Dog Posts: 436
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here's what has been going on. About 48 hours ago the OKC Fire Chief enacted a very strict burn ban for Oklahoma City. We were told we would have to cancel the fest since charcoal cooking was not allowed in the city limits due to the recent dry weather and several serious wildfires.

Due to the efforts of several people, most notably Scott at Everything BBQ and Tommy Evans from Eagle Rub, we have obtained an exception and the fest will go on as planned Saturday from 9 to 3. Everybody needs to give these guys a big hug and a pat on the back because they went to bat to ensure everything continued on as planned. As a concession, we will have 2 OKC Firemen on site throughout the day in case there are any emergencies.

The only change in plans we have to make is no cooking on the grill at the after party back at the La Quinta. I suggest we throw the after party food on at the end of the fest, wrap it up in foil and break it out that night. The after party is still a go and we will get rowdy, just no grilling after the fest shuts down following Iron Egg Chef. We can also order some pizza, bring some snacks and go to town.

The OKC Fire Department is not messing around with this ban so it is a small concession in the grand scheme of things.

Everything else is good to go...golf, the meet and greet, the class schedule, etc... remain unchanged.

If anybody has any questions, please let me know at oklahomaeggfest@cox.net and we will see you guys this weekend!

Fest starts tomorrow night at 7 PM at Mama Roja for Margaritas. See ya!

Chris (Snoopy Dog Dog)

Comments

• You may also wish to send a nice care package of vittles to that OKC fire chief (and the local fire station) as a big thank you, and feed the onsite firemen very well!

They certainly didn't have to make this concession, but they did.
  • jzcc
    jzcc Posts: 123
    Agreed! Although the firefighters in my area of the world are already first class BBQers themselves. However, they have certainly appreciated any donations that have come their way! Think this would be a very worthy cause.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I think I got wind burned as much as sun burned last time we were there. Hate to miss it another year. I may call Evans and have him come over and harass you for me :woohoo:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Two firemen = two heroes = two new converts!
    The Naked Whiz
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    I kept wondering if this was going to come up!

I have cooked anything on an egg in a while because of the burn ban so we really do need to make sure the 2 officers are fat and happy!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    It's cool that you were able to get the exemption for charcoal, and to have fire department support on site all day as well.

But aren't most fire bans involve wood and charcoal pits only? I mean, instead of having sandwiches or take-out pizza at the after party, why not get a couple of gassers and cook on those?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • No gassers allowed either unfortunately, this is a serious burn ban at the highest level. A first of this magnitude ...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Cudos to all involved for working out a very nice compromise! those two firemen have a great day ahead of them :)
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have been wondering about this and I am glad to hear the fest will go off without interruption. Oklahoma County has been under a burn ban since February 16th. We have had some bad wildfires lately due to drought (video of the blackhawk helicopters with 600 gallon buckets putting out wildfires a couple of times a week on the local news). At the end of the burn ban order it says: "Exceptions, Outdoor cooking in approved appliances is permissable with due caution." I didn't know how to exactly interpret that clause, although the newscasters said last week that gassers with the lid closed were permissable.

I can't find anything escalating the ban, but it sounds like we're covered thanks to Scott and Tommy, and I am sure the local fire house will be well fed!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I'll bring an electric hot plate and a stock pot so we can have massive amounts of Ramen noodles! lol

Thanks for all of your tireless efforts, Chris! Looking forward to seeing everyone and eating some great food.

Bruce
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    George-Forman-Grill.jpg

Well, I guess it time to get a long extension cord and reach for 'ol George.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Please tell those nice fire protection peeps to come hungry and stay late -- off the clock for the after party!
    B)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I wonder . . . if they callin hourly reports to their chief just how long it would be before one of them gets relieved by said chief? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    We are on a stage 2 fire ban here .No charcoal or open burning.Gassers are okay.We are on day 15 of the restrictions.Last year we went 42 days straight.But it didn't start until late summer.We have only received about 1/3 of the moisture we normally get in winter/spring. Colorado has had over 30 fires already and it isn't fire season yet.it's tinder dry here.
    It could be along summer :( :unsure: :angry:
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    :laugh: :laugh: At my department, that would be a chief assignment from the get-go!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Wow, I'm very impressed that they would make an exception. Must have been a big relief to all who are involved in planning this as well as people attending!

The two firemen who pull duty at the fest are lucky! It'll probably be their best day at work ever.