Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Long Cook any suggestions

Options
Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight, the inaugural long cook. I have made a couple of dry runs to test my tempurature control. While not perfect, I think I have the settings. Now after two weeks, the first brisket. I plan on using mesquite chips for added smoke flavor. (I love the smell of mesquite) If any of you have a pointer or two I am all ears. I can hardly makew my self wait. charcoal is loaded, chips are soaking, after work I'll rub the brisket and let it set. then in the wee hours I'll get up light and wait.... :woohoo:

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Good luck...and FYI...you don't need to soak chips or chunks when using in the BGE...next time save yourself a step... :)
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Have a great cook and enjoy your first low and slo!!
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Don't be bashful with the rub...load it up. When it's sliced, the thick bark on the outer edge will be the perfect compliment to the rest of the slice!

Post pics...I love brisket pics!
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    My big mistake on my first brisket was underestimating how long it would take.

Dinnertime came and went and it wasn't done.

But at least for my second and third briskets I underestimated how long it would take.

Next week will be #4, and I am sure I will underestimate how long it will take.

But the good news is that I underestimated how good brisket can be on the egg.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks guys/Gals...question should I have pulled the Brisket off and wrapped in foil and then replaced to finish the cook? or is that just the old 'traditional' smoker method to keep it from drying out? Been cooking for 12 hours and it looks MARVELOUS! I would post some pics but do not know how. Can this site access photos from facebook?